Conspiracy Theory of the Cell Phone Variety

Keep it clean and civil!
glorkar
Conspiracy Theory of the Cell Phone Variety

Post by glorkar » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:02 pm

I think the cell phone manufacturing companies and service providers rig their phones to malfunction after two years. That is why they have you sign a contract for that long. Sure, some go quicker than that, but very rarely do they last more than two years.

So yeah, just got a new phone, if you didn't guess that. Ended up getting an LG Rumor Touch. I liked the touch screen feature without having to get a smart phone. And, much to my surprise, I really like the slide out keyboard. It's so much easier to text when you don't have to do the multiple button punch. I'm just curious to see what will be out there in two years when this one breaks.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

glorkar

Re: Conspiracy Theory of the Cell Phone Variety

Post by glorkar » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:39 am

The conspiracy builds:
I had to jump through so many hoops to get a custom ringer to work on my phone. Sprint really doesn't like you making your own. They much rather prefer you buy from them.
Long story short, I had to rename the file extension so my phone would think it was a video. When I put the memory card back in the phone, I select the video as my ringer. The phone only plays the audio portion of the video file since there is no actual video portion. Very messed up. I'm just glad I figured it out :)
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:01 pm

I think the people at the Verizon stores try and charge you more money than the web site would. When I was looking for a new phone the girl at the store told me a new Droid would cost me $99 and my bill would go up $25 a month! I got ticked off to say the least. I ordered a brand new FREE Droid from the web site and my bill increased $3.95 because I modified the plan for txt. msg I hoped she got paid in commission because she got nothing from me!

jeffbouldin

Post by jeffbouldin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:55 pm

In my experience all of the brick and mortar stores have to charge more than the online stores. Your benefits are picking it up immediately, help setting it up, and a place to return for help. Online you get a better deal but are on your own and if you have problems it takes longer to get it taken care of. So, I don't think she was trying to rip you off with the phone purchase. Now the data plan, either she was trying to rip you off or (and I lean this way) she was ignorant of the different plans and how to juggle them around.