Geosphere App

Discuss the iPhone and the Apps
Altered7151
Geosphere App

Post by Altered7151 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:11 am

Thought I'd give you guys with iphones a heads up on the Geosphere app. I know alot of people dont know about, and when I've tried to discuss it on the GC forums they did a pretty good job of censoring it. In my opinion its light years ahead of the GC app, with its only flaw being that it couldn't scrape data from the GC site for on the fly caching, which of course is not the apps fault. It can upload GPX files, so you can manage you caches on GSAK and export a gpx file to the phone via email. It also has a great filtering setup, and the map integration is seamless. I posted up a new topic on the geosphere forums requesting they add integration with OCUS, and in the past they've been very receptive to suggestions. So hopefully its a feature we'll see soon.

Vertigo

Re: Geosphere App

Post by Vertigo » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:31 am

Why can't you just import one of the GC formated GPX files from this site? Does that not work?

Altered7151

Post by Altered7151 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:03 pm

You can do that as well, or through your email at least until they update the app to do a direct upload. Being able to scrape data though would allow you to search for nearby caches while out in the field. So say you're on vacation or a business trip and want to grab a couple quick caches and dont have a gpx file loaded. The app can search the site for you and put all nearby caches on the app's map or list. Basically what the GC app on the iphone can do now, but they wont allow any outside apps to access the site data, legally anyways. Some unauthorized droid apps scrape data, there's not a whole lot GC can do about it though.

ijeep

Post by ijeep » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:22 pm

I use & love Geosphere. It's the best gpx handler out there.
Bill, OC US Moderator, Division 6
Always waypoint the Jeep!

Shilo

Post by Shilo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:18 am

I've been using Geosphere for about a month. I love it.

Every time I go out caching with it I learn something new and useful. I'm using it mainly for cache info out in the field, replacing my PalmTX. I was carrying a GPSr, cell phone(for PAFs) and my PDA(for cache info). Now I'm down to GPSr and my iphone.

Geosphere is easy to use after messing with it for about an hour. I absolutely love field notes!! I made a generic template and 'stamp' it to every log so when I get home I don't have to copy and paste so much.

networkcacher

Post by networkcacher » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:49 pm

Bumping the Geosphere discussion after I had a chance to use with a few OCUS caches at Geowoodstock IX. I sent the GPX files to Geosphere via email and then slurped them into a separate group. It worked far better than my Oregon 300 that's for sure (need to test that some more, might be a bug).
ImageImageImage

beacon43

Post by beacon43 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:19 am

After reading this post, I'm planning to use Geosphere.. Hope I'll get good experience.. Hope you guys will help me If I need..

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu May 23, 2013 8:46 am

beacon43 wrote:After reading this post, I'm planning to use Geosphere.. Hope I'll get good experience.. Hope you guys will help me If I need..
Famous Geocaching Podcaster DarrylW4 has called it the best Geocaching App on the market of any platform, period. I'll link to that Podcast if I remember to come back and edit this. It was only about a month ago he had that Podcast.

Keep in mind to use if for Opencaching.us, you have to send our .gpx files to it. I would describe our advanced search as "almost as good" as a Geocaching.com pocket query, I'm sure Networkcacher can help on that if needed. If he doesn't check in here every day, I'm sure we can get a hold of him. :D
ImageImage

Sequoia

Post by Sequoia » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:40 am

Not sure if geosphere is the same as the open caching app. I log in here just fine but the app tells me my password is wrong. Do I have to have a different account to use the app? IPhone 4S

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:18 pm

Just got the iPhone Wednesday. Installed Geosphere and Dropbox on it this morning. I can import the gpx files and navigate to the cache using the offline cache selection. I was able to link GC.com but not OCUS
The only drawback I see is I cant log OUCS in the field. I was able to log a note through Safari with no trouble Everything else should be OK--- iPhone 5