User name change.

New to geocaching? Get help here!
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Re: User name change.

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:00 am

KnowsOpie wrote:Oh yes, I remember that guy. ;) He was our community leader just before they killed off the forums to silence all of the negativity about the site.

I hear he is big into Munzee now?
I remember too. Although I never used that site (I was pissed off because of the name, and I was only a regular user and supporter here), I lurked in those crazy forums the whole time they existed. I think I did post towards the end when some European College Student said Opencaching.com was obviously not going to be viable, and he wanted to write his own Geocaching site from scratch. As if there weren't already 20 alternatives with a combined 10% of the Geocaching market, what a silly idea.

That poor Stealth guy (and from what I can gather, that REALLY IS his REAL last name). I don't know what job he left to be Garmin's Geocaching Liason, but they shitcanned him after only about a year!

I would also like to add, without making another post, that some guy named TrailTech seemed to be Garmin's spokesman for Opencaching.com, pre StealthRT. I'm quite certain he verified that Opie was indeed supposed to be a Squirrel. Maybe in their dead and buried forums. Which I once tried to find on archive.org, but I do not believe they were ever indexed. They're gone forever. We only have our fond memories of Arthur & Trillian trolling Manny, errrrr I mean KnowsOpie, to no end. I do also remember the then Hamilton Homeschoolers AKA Bon Echo posting there.
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:14 pm

Oh, yes. Reminds me of The Urban Legend of Opie http://www.opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=2135

TrailTech? Pretty sure that was one of the two ladies representing Garmin at the Hatfield McCoy 2 Mega event that I met. :D I autographed a OpenCaching hat for one of them.
I don't think OpenCaching went over very well there, and after that GroundSpeak made up some new rules about other listing services and their events, but I don't recall the details.
I do remember that pretty much ended the free Garmin swag being handed out at events. Those guys used to send me some nice stuff to leave as swag. I did end up with a full set of PathTags, and Opie retired there as well when Garmin's site went poof.

I think that most of us that used that site caught slack from the GS community. Garmin came in like they were taking over, and they attracted the numbers, but the site was poorly managed and many GS supporters hated it.

When Garmin announced that we were getting a new community coordinator I was excited. Then it was obvious that they just wanted to throw someone under the bus. I do hope they found Stealth standing in a cheese line or he did not quit his day job. ;)

I recently had someone ask me why in the Hell I still use that site. Seems they confused the two OpenCaching sites, and when I attempted to explain, I got....
"Damn, I would change my user name there if I were you". So there you go. :oops:
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Bon Echo
Site Admin

Post by Bon Echo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:22 pm

I think the "Urban Legend of Opie" is a sad story about a southerner named Manny who knows how to hide caches in great locations. But his evil twin Opie comes along about once each year and archives them all. Leaving poor Manny to start all over again, slowly creating new and interesting listings. Your above link is just one of the many listings that died at the hands of cruel Opie.
So I can't call you MPH anymore, I guess it's KO now. What I wrote is fictional, a legend, but the unnecessary slaughter of listings is a sad thing to watch from afar. I checked out your new Benge's Gap cache just to see it's already been archived. A shame, really.

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:38 pm

Bon Echo wrote:I think the "Urban Legend of Opie" is a sad story about a southerner named Manny who knows how to hide caches in great locations. But his evil twin Opie comes along about once each year and archives them all. Leaving poor Manny to start all over again, slowly creating new and interesting listings. Your above link is just one of the many listings that died at the hands of cruel Opie.
So I can't call you MPH anymore, I guess it's KO now. What I wrote is fictional, a legend, but the unnecessary slaughter of listings is a sad thing to watch from afar. I checked out your new Benge's Gap cache just to see it's already been archived. A shame, really.
Really the shame was the LBN that I stuck on that Historical Marker. :oops: Maybe I got ahead of myself in publishing that listing. There are already two crappy caches there at the over-look.

I'm pondering the idea of BIT caches, but having another traditional denied for publish here for being at least 58 feet past a lonely GC cache didn't help matters none. I don't feel that the two would conflict with each other, and really did not want to go the BIT or virtual route, so I have to rethink some ideas here.

As for Virginia Historical Markers, I guess you know that I manage the category over on the BrokenMarking site. Geocaches are banned on VDOT maintained property here in the commonwealth, but those markers are not VDOT property. I have in the past used those stinking little magnetic black nanos stuck into the screw hole on those markers, and the darn things seem to last. I just don't like nanos, so I have issues about hiding them. :oops:

The Legend of Opie cache site now belongs to MoonPie Mafia. I have a night cache nearby, and a big ole ammo can really deep in the bramble.

Archiving listings to me is no big deal, I archive them on GC as well sometimes. I forget how many caches that I actually own or maintain for other accounts. :oops:
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:19 pm

KnowsOpie wrote:Oh, yes. Reminds me of The Urban Legend of Opie http://www.opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=2135

TrailTech? Pretty sure that was one of the two ladies representing Garmin at the Hatfield McCoy 2 Mega event that I met. :D I autographed a OpenCaching hat for one of them.
I don't think OpenCaching went over very well there, and after that GroundSpeak made up some new rules about other listing services and their events, but I don't recall the details.
I do remember that pretty much ended the free Garmin swag being handed out at events. Those guys used to send me some nice stuff to leave as swag. I did end up with a full set of PathTags, and Opie retired there as well when Garmin's site went poof.

I think that most of us that used that site caught slack from the GS community. Garmin came in like they were taking over, and they attracted the numbers, but the site was poorly managed and many GS supporters hated it.

When Garmin announced that we were getting a new community coordinator I was excited. Then it was obvious that they just wanted to throw someone under the bus. I do hope they found Stealth standing in a cheese line or he did not quit his day job. ;)

I recently had someone ask me why in the Hell I still use that site. Seems they confused the two OpenCaching sites, and when I attempted to explain, I got....
"Damn, I would change my user name there if I were you". So there you go. :oops:
By the way, what is your new Avatar on this site?

You called me Ninny, in that email asking for the forum name change. Is that any way to talk to a potential future fellow Commonwealth of Virginia resident? :D

My bad, TrailTech could have very well been female. Geocaching is definitely a little more male than female, but not by a lot. I just assumed male. TrailTech certainly put up with a lot of crap when that site was new. There was the pissed off opencaching people, and the Groundspeak fanboys. It was relentless.

Hatfield-McCoy could have been the one where Groundspeak went bonkers, and told future Mega Events they would no longer allow Garmin/Opencaching as a featured sponsor, or else they would refuse to list the Mega on their site. And at that point, what choice do you have? Rumor has it they also read the riot act to The Berkshire Geobash in Massachusetts in 2016, regarding the same thing and Munzee. In case you never noticed, for any Mega Event for which I ever looked at the Munzee Map, they are total Munzee point frenzies, with tens of thousands of Munzee virtual points available on the event grounds.
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:48 pm

Of course I called you ninny, silly! ;) I'm a huge Leslie Chow fan. :P

Yes, that was the MEGA that struck a nerve. Garmin posted an interview with the event hosts in their blog or something like that.

The two Garmin reps there claimed to be "testers", and would not tell me their geocaching user names. I kinda felt bad, cause I thought sure as shit this is poor ole TrailTech that I bash in the forums. :oops:

Oh, my new avatar? It's my Pokemon Trainer avatar. :D
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:53 pm

KnowsOpie wrote:Of course I called you ninny, silly! ;) I'm a huge Leslie Chow fan. :P

Yes, that was the MEGA that struck a nerve. Garmin posted an interview with the event hosts in their blog or something like that.

The two Garmin reps there claimed to be "testers", and would not tell me their geocaching user names. I kinda felt bad, cause I thought sure as shit this is poor ole TrailTech that I bash in the forums. :oops:

Oh, my new avatar? It's my Pokemon Trainer avatar. :D
I had to Google Leslie Chow, I have not seen those films, although it sounds like my kind of humor. Hmm, I almost remember TrailTech going by Chris, which is a unisex name, although do NOT quote me on that. I do remember Garmin interviewing Wendy, I believe her name is, on their blog, but I can't find that. Nor can I find the time they interviewed Alamogul, which I also remember. Gosh, I never heard of any of our interviewees taking shit from The Frog, including what I'd consider the most high profile one (at the time, at least) Stormgren X, who took a 9 day canoe ride to find a previously unfound cache in Northern Ontario.

Oh yeah, that looks like a Pokeman trainer avatar now that you mention it. I have more of a rad dude in a colorful outfit I created. Haven't played in months. The app absolutely refuses to let you continue unless you update, and I have to make room on the phone every time (it's a huge app). And to top that off, it seems like it happens every few weeks.
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:15 pm

Oh man, it could be Chris. I have a photo of us together there at the event.... and a picture of DudlyGrunt's name on a pig's butt. :o Okay, the event log was a big sign that looked like a pig. :mrgreen: I was going through some of those old photos last night drafting up a BM. Coolest part about it is the bullet holes in the wall above it from the Mine Wars battle of Matewan.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd