Question about hiding caches

New to geocaching? Get help here!
sherken
Question about hiding caches

Post by sherken » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:25 pm

I have been using geocaching.com and just found this site. I have a few caches that I have hidden already, and was wondering if I can list them here as well?

Kenny

glorkar

Re: Question about hiding caches

Post by glorkar » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:16 pm

That is perfectly acceptable. There is even an option to list the GC number when you create the cache listing on Opencaching.us. After a while, the goal is for caches to be listed as Opencaching.us only caches. That way we have something unique to offer. And welcome to OCUS!
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:47 pm

Welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy what we have to offer and that once you have a feel for the process and such through listing your current caches, you'll seriously consider listing some "OCUS Only" caches.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

sherken

Post by sherken » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:27 am

Thanks! I will list my current caches (4), and definitely get some new ones up! I like the fact that if they are unique to this site, I won't have to worry about proximity to gc.com ones. :o)

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:12 am

sherken wrote:Thanks! I will list my current caches (4), and definitely get some new ones up! I like the fact that if they are unique to this site, I won't have to worry about proximity to gc.com ones. :o)
It does open up some areas. However, my personal feeling is that it is still a good idea to avoid placing one in the immediate vicinity of a cache on another listing service to avoid confusion of the two.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:14 am

I've placed one that is about 360' from a GC cache. The way I look at it, the 300' rule from this site should apply to all caches placed on this site and involve all others from all other sites. That being said, sometimes you just don't know!
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

sherken

Post by sherken » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:26 pm

Oh, of course I wouldn't put one that close. :o) Don't want to add confusion.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:01 pm

I ran into that problem in North Carolina with TerraCaching and GC.com caches (by the same owner). I was actually only aware of the TC cache, so when I found it, I assumed I had the right one. Realized the problem when I got home.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

The Searchers

Post by The Searchers » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:32 pm

We also just ran into this in the Las Vegas area. A TC was about 6 feet from a GC. We knew this going in but several of the log signatures were for the wrong site(cache) and they probably never realized it and logged as found on GC. Guess that can happen.
The Searchers

adairmd

Post by adairmd » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:29 pm

glorkar wrote:That is perfectly acceptable. There is even an option to list the GC number when you create the cache listing on Opencaching.us. After a while, the goal is for caches to be listed as Opencaching.us only caches. That way we have something unique to offer. And welcome to OCUS!
This answered my question as well. I just signed up today! I hid some caches and listed them on gc.com, so I thought I'd list at least one here.