Caching Down the (NJ) Shore?

New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania

Moderator:Sabrefan7

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Caching Down the (NJ) Shore?

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon May 21, 2012 2:47 pm

I was just up in Wildwood, NJ with my scouts for Beach Jam at Morey's Pier.

Last year I set up a webcam for Morey's and this year I found a veterans memorial in Sea Isle City that didn't have cache. I've set up a virtual for it and it should be live in a day or so. I try to not review my own cache, now that NativTxn is helping out with that.

Any New Jersey cachers plan to trip down to the ocean, this summer? Could be a chance for 2 vacation FTF's.

Dave
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Caching Down the (NJ) Shore?

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue May 22, 2012 10:31 am

The Sea Isle Veterans Memorial virtual is active, now.

The webcam is Beach Jammin'.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:45 am

DudleyGrunt wrote:I was just up in Wildwood, NJ with my scouts for Beach Jam at Morey's Pier.

Last year I set up a webcam for Morey's and this year I found a veterans memorial in Sea Isle City that didn't have cache. I've set up a virtual for it and it should be live in a day or so. I try to not review my own cache, now that NativTxn is helping out with that.

Any New Jersey cachers plan to trip down to the ocean, this summer? Could be a chance for 2 vacation FTF's.

Dave
Great job on both those cache pages. The Veterans memorial looks awesome. I've been to New Jersey too many times to count, but I've never ventured South of Ft. Dix. I'd be afraid I'd run into those weirdo's from that TV show or something. :D

Speaking of which, I plan on dropping at least 4 vacation guestbook caches and/or virtuals in Pa., Ohio, and Indiana next weekend. Probably more, as I'm sure I"ll stumble on something interesting enough on my travels.

Hey DG, what do you think of the lameness factor of making something that has been a virtual on Geocaching.com since 2002 a virtual here also? That would be the world peace bell in Newport, Kentucky. If it has a guesbook, that would be less lame to make it one of them instead, in my opinion.
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:30 am

I've seen sites that have (non-crosslisted) virtuals on different sites.

Actually I had a virt on TC for Taft Bell and Clarion in DC that I moved here and, since, has a new TerraCache virtual listed.

Funny (sad) thing is that when I first listed it on TC, I did a quick job of it and thought is was for President William Howard Taft, but it is actually for his brother and US Senator, Robert Taft. I'm not sure Old Navy new I had it listed here, but it happens. I actually swung by recently and claimed his virtual.

As long as the requirements are different (more robust?) and it is something you think it noteworthy, it could be good.

For instance for GC.com, all you need to do to log it is...
1)Take a picture with you or your GPS in the picture with the bell in view. (not enforceable, per their current guidelines)

2)Log the coordinates of the Bell. (not exactly at GZ, but you could get those online)

3)Tell where your from: State/Town/Country etc. (doesn't require you to visit)

4)Tell us about your visit! (again, one could just post some fluff, while logging from their couch).

5)Only one log per person/team
If you put something together that would actually require them to visit the site collect info for a Log Password (or to send you) that would actually cause them to learn something, I think it would be an improvement.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:05 pm

Before I read your reply, I was doing some research. There is no guestbook. The Grounds also contain a Fireman's Memorial, and a Small 9/11 Memorial, dedicated on the 10th anniversary of the event. I had, befrore I read, considedred I could make either/or the fireman's memorial and 9/11 memorial into a seperate virtual. All this stuff could be incorporated into one "better" virt on our website. Or maybe not, I am already planning on doing 4 others. Thanks for responding. Especially since it has nothing to do with the Mid-Atlantic.
ImageImage