Considering a NOTG Cache Series

General Information About Geocaching
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Considering a NOTG Cache Series

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:23 am

Being a supporter of all the various caching sites, I'm thinking about putting together what I'm calling my "NOTG" cache series. What's that, you ask? It would be a multi / puzzle involving four listing sites. The only problem is that I can be completely open about it on three of the four sites, but will have to be subtle about it on GC.com.

NOTG is...

Navicache
Opencaching.us
TerraCaching
Geocaching.com

I'd have 3 caches that would need to be found to collect information for the fourth cache. The final would be on GC.com so folks would have to find a cache on the three other sites. The final would probably simply have a clue that was a string of the waypoint names for the other three (ie N02D8Z.TC9R2.OU0099). It'd be up the cacher to figure out what that is, sine I can't have any mention of the competition on a GC.com cache page. In each of the first three, there would be information to figure out the final coordinates.

I've posted a vague request for insight on Groundspeak, asking people what they think the limits of information sources might be.

What do folks think?
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

glorkar

Re: Considering a NOTG Cache Series

Post by glorkar » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:49 am

Interesting concept. It would either inspire cachers to check out the various sites, or the cache would go let unfound :| I for one would not be able to look for it. I've attempted to create a terracaching account a couple of times, but it's hard to get sponsored and there are relatively few caches within easy reach of my home. But I think it's worth a shot! You never know until you try :)
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

The Searchers

Post by The Searchers » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:17 pm

This sounds interesting as we already use 3 of the sites. Anything to promote more geocachers joining. We have used TC for about 6 months and yes there are not many caches close to us but we try to do some when we travel. We had no problem getting sponsored so if you want to try again let us know so we can watch for you needing a sponsor.
The Searchers

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:01 pm

Since GC.com forbids talking about anyone but themselves... you could call it GONT. Start with GC and in the cache log specify that this is only the first stage and you must now find the remaining stages listed at OC, Nav and Terr. For example, the log may say something like "Grats on finding Stage 1. However, to complete the search you much find stage 2 at http://www.opencaching.us, the cache is OUxxxx. On our site you can freely mention stage 3 and 4. Just an idea...

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:25 pm

RVRoadTrip wrote:Since GC.com forbids talking about anyone but themselves... you could call it GONT. Start with GC and in the cache log specify that this is only the first stage and you must now find the remaining stages listed at OC, Nav and Terr. For example, the log may say something like "Grats on finding Stage 1. However, to complete the search you much find stage 2 at http://www.opencaching.us, the cache is OUxxxx. On our site you can freely mention stage 3 and 4. Just an idea...
Yeah, GC.com will definitely be the challenge. I started my Groundspeak forum thread vaguely, but will move up to the point of seeing if it is ok that the person might need to create a free account on a third party website (or know someone who has one) in order to obtain the information for the cache.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:39 pm

Use a shortened URL service like bit.ly and send them to our forums for the info. Just another thought...

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:04 am

I am coming to accept that the GC.com cache won't be able to be the final, IF it requires people to actually have / create accounts on the other sites.

Maybe what I'll do is create an option that they can either use the waypoint codes to figure out what they need to do or solve puzzles to get the other coordinates on their own. Then, when they get there, the caches will clearly be labeled as being Navicache, TerraCache or OpenCaching hides with cards about how to log them.

They won't need to, but they'll at least have found a cache on each of the other sites and maybe they'll want to sign up and log them.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Sniperchicken

Post by Sniperchicken » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:04 am

I kinda like your general "idea" of utilizing different sites for this cache series...but at the same time i think it is a bad idea and has potential for some negative results.

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:40 am

There are people who are fans of geocaching then there are fans of GC.com. The latter would be the only ones to get upset.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:50 am

RVRoadTrip wrote:There are people who are fans of geocaching then there are fans of GC.com.
That is the premise of my Geocachers Unlimited group on Facebook.
RVRoadTrip wrote:The latter would be the only ones to get upset.
To include TPTB at GC.com.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image