Intercaching

General Information About Geocaching
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Intercaching

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:46 pm

An interesting new cache "type" along the lines of WhereIGo, but easier to build and smartphone based.

From their website, Intercaching Home....
An InterCache is an interactive geocache. A geocache is an outdoor activity that uses GPS devices to play a high tech treasure hunt. See geocaching.com for more information. An intercache is a new way of creating a mystery geocache, similar to a wherigo geocache. The biggest difference is that the entire geocache can be developed, edited, and played on your mobile phone's browser with no software required to download!

Part virtual cache, part multicache, part puzzle cache, and part wherigo. What can you do with it?
I just finished listening to an interview with the creator, ChileHead, about it on GeoGearHeads episode 75. I'm going to investigate it and try to create on for OCNA. I think it will be listed as an "Unknown", since it doesn't fit another established cache type.

I thought I'd heard it discussed on another podcast, recently, but can't find it.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

chilehead

Re: Intercaching

Post by chilehead » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:44 am

The GeoGearHeads podcast is the only one I did. There were a couple articles on itsnotaboutthenumbers.com prior to that.

So far most of them seem to be favorably reviewed, many receiving a good portion of favorite points. That could be though because they are new and different. We'll see how they are accepted long term.

I keep getting delayed, but I hope to release the changes soon to add in items (inventory) and constraints, so that you can create locations that are inaccessible unless you have a particular item. For example, you could create a "blue door" location that can only be opened if you have the "blue key". These are your typical old school adventure type features, also accessible in wherigo, but I'm striving to have this easy to create and maintain for the non-programmer, unlike wherigo.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: Intercaching

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:01 pm

chilehead wrote:The GeoGearHeads podcast is the only one I did. There were a couple articles on itsnotaboutthenumbers.com prior to that.

So far most of them seem to be favorably reviewed, many receiving a good portion of favorite points. That could be though because they are new and different. We'll see how they are accepted long term.

I keep getting delayed, but I hope to release the changes soon to add in items (inventory) and constraints, so that you can create locations that are inaccessible unless you have a particular item. For example, you could create a "blue door" location that can only be opened if you have the "blue key". These are your typical old school adventure type features, also accessible in wherigo, but I'm striving to have this easy to create and maintain for the non-programmer, unlike wherigo.
Thanks for the upate, and for visiting and posting to our forums. We don't like to see DudleyGrunt and Mr.Yuck making most of the posts. :lol:

I am going to do one of these things (maybe even here only), but I've said that before. It is a great concept. Perhaps we will do a blog post too in the future, if you're up for it.
ImageImage