Anti Geocaching blog post (at least we got a shout out)

General Information About Geocaching
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Anti Geocaching blog post (at least we got a shout out)

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:51 am

A writer from New Mexico who is an avid hiker discovered a 2001 placed Geocache in SW New Mexico, and blogged about it. After much pontification and self-reflection, he decided to "muggle it". An interesting read to say the least. Geomorphology

On the bright side, we still have excellent Google search results, as we got a shout out. I hope he was able to find some useful information on our site, or blog at least. Misguided as he is.
The first geocache was placed in Oregon in 2000 by a man named Dave Ulmer, who now apparently holds Yoda-like status in the geocaching world. Since the first cache — which contained software, books, a little money, videos, food and a slingshot stashed in a half-buried plastic bucket — was established, logged and located, geocaching has expanded and spread like a particularly virulent case of crab lice. It has morphed to include numerous variations, such as virtual caches, geodashing and stratocaching, the latter of which actually involves airflight (making my original thesis regarding the Rubbermaid water cooler I now possess being dropped from a plane seem more plausible).

As well, numerous groups, such as geocaching.com, opencaching.us, Groundspeak and the Geological Society of America, have jumped into the geocaching game.
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Anti Geocaching blog post (at least we got a shout out)

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:54 am

Interesting read. Unfortunately, he ended up deciding that this wilderness area is HIS and his to police.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image