Reviving Archived Virtuals

General Information About Geocaching
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Reviving Archived Virtuals

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:42 pm

I'm thinking about reviving a few old virtual caches that I've found over the years, but that got archived because the owner was no longer active and you could not submit verification answers. What do folks think?
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Re: Reviving Archived Virtuals

Post by RVRoadTrip » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:48 pm

I don't see a problem with that.

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:03 pm

Great idea. If you enjoyed them, I'm sure others would too. The best part is that there is no 'ownership' of the object of the cache, so anybody can use it in a write up!
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:27 pm

I think its a good idea. I see that location-less caches are not allowed. I was wondering the reason why not and if your thinking of allowing them in the future?

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:30 pm

Location-less caches are where you find an example of something, then post the coords where you found it, right? I joined the game too late to find any on the other site and am not fully sure what they are.

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:27 pm

Sabrefan7 wrote:I think its a good idea. I see that location-less caches are not allowed. I was wondering the reason why not and if your thinking of allowing them in the future?
According to Cacheopedia:
Locationless caches are sometimes referred to as "reverse" caches. In a locationless cache, the "hider" posts a description of a site without supplying coordinates. "Finders" try to find locations that match the description, and they post coordinates to those locations. Not all listing sites accept this kind of cache, but terracaching.com and GPSgames.org welcome locationless caches.

I want each cache to have a defined location, a specific set of coordinates that identifies a single target. Locationless caches do not fit this criteria and are more of a "go find this and it doesn't matter where it is". It requires no effort or materials to create a locationless cache and since many people gravitate to the path of least resistance, I felt it was best to just not allow them from the beginning rather than wait until the site was saturated with them. At this point, I have no intention of allowing them in the future.

It is my belief that the site will be better overall without this type of entry.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:16 pm

In essence a Locationless Cache is equivelent to a Waymarking category. I do enjoy the well done ones, but even over at TerraCaching, there has been a recent trend of poorly conceived and executed LC's that don't really even belong.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:49 pm

I think that the reversecache would be fun, but I do agree with you both that they could be a problem as Dudley said way to many on Terra are poorly conceived. OK then :)

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:06 pm

Although a nicely done reverse could be entertaining. Same goes for virtuals. As long as it is a high quality, or even just averagely done cache, I'm down with it. Just remember the ratios :mrgreen:

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:26 pm

Hey Dudley? Have you done a book mark list on archived virts?