Another Moving Cache Question

General Information About Geocaching
Badwolf1197
Another Moving Cache Question

Post by Badwolf1197 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:04 pm

I am interested in possibly putting out a moving cache...but I don't have a lot of cachers using OC.us around me (NW Indiana) and am afraid it might sit for a long time.

Would it be possible to make the cache trackable using a GeoKrety or something like that? Then put it in a GC.com cache to get it moving? Finders could log the trackable if they found it...and then log the cache here if they wanted. It might would likely get more finds like that, and (in my opinion) possibly generate traffic to OC.us. The cache page could have the trackable ID...if if nothing else, each time it is dropped into a new cache, I could go in and update the coords with the new information.

Another option would be for me to put out a trackable, and place a bit cache QR code on it...and log it as an unknown. Let me know what you think about this. I don't want to break any guidelines...but want to try to hide a bunch of different cache types if possible.

FYI...I had previously changed my cacher name on the OC.us site to BadWolf1197, but couldn't find a way to change my username here.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Another Moving Cache Question

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:12 am

Any of your ideas would be fine. I have a moving cache that is also a GC.com TB. While I love Geokrety.org, if the purpose is to promote your average gc.com user to log it and help it along, you might better off as a TB.

I'll forward your username issue to Mr.Yuck directly. He may be able to change it for you.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Give it a shot.
Check out the infiltrator. It is an OCNA moving cache with a bit and a GC travelbug.
My hopes were much the same in that it could be moved from GC cache to GC cache with the tb or hidden alone on OCNA.
It got a little popularity and ended up being passed from person to person and rarely hidden.

GEOKRETY are another hard sale in the GC world. They are rarely logged. Its not integrated well with GC caches. BITS are much more likely to be scanned but to log they need to be members and if they are not it usually ends there.

Sent from the brewery

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:07 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:Any of your ideas would be fine. I have a moving cache that is also a GC.com TB. While I love Geokrety.org, if the purpose is to promote your average gc.com user to log it and help it along, you might better off as a TB.

I'll forward your username issue to Mr.Yuck directly. He may be able to change it for you.
Done, and I figure I better email the new Badwolf1197 before he comes back. Very easy, probably easier than finding out how to do it on a Google search. I have only done two username changes in my 14 month tenure, so I'd better go back and do it for the forums for the other person now. Who fortunately is a world famous Podcaster, so I remember who it was. :mrgreen:

We could have some fun with this on occasion too, DG. Change a few spambot usernames, so they can't get back in. :D

Oh, and of course everything Badwolf1197 mentions is fine.
ImageImage

Badwolf1197

Post by Badwolf1197 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:56 pm

Thanks guys. The TB over geokrety is a good suggestion. I will work on getting this out soon.