Special Request to Log a TerraCaching.com Locationless Cache

General Information About Geocaching
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Special Request to Log a TerraCaching.com Locationless Cache

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue May 27, 2014 3:59 pm

On May 4th, I published my latest Locationless Cache (LC) with our friends at TerraCaching.com - 2014 Walk to Defeat ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease).

For those not familiar with them, a Locationless Cache is generally much closer to a traditional scavenger hunt, in that you are given something that you need to go find an example of (eg, astronomical observatories). There are also "cyber challenge" LC's that you can log for having completed some task (geocaching related or not). In order to log the LC above, you need to either participate in or make a donation to participant of a 2014 Walk to Defeat ALS.

My dad was diagnosed with ALS in late October 2013 after an initially slow progression of symptoms that escalated at the end of September. He is now largely bed ridden and on a ventilator. His is at home, though, under the 24 hour care of my step-mother and support from family, friends, hospice and the local ALS Association chapter. My family is organizing a team, Ben's Buddies, to participate in the DC walk on November 1.

Cash108 (TC's owner) has graciously pledged to donate $100 torwards my dad's team for each of the first 10 people who properly log the cache by June 18. See the DudleyGrunt's Instant Challenge post in their forums for additional details. If you have a TC account (or create a new one), even a qualifying pledge of $1 would trigger an additional $100 from Team TC.

So far there have been two finds logged, in addition to Cash108's own.

Thanks!
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: Special Request to Log a TerraCaching.com Locationless C

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed May 28, 2014 10:27 pm

Thanks for posting this here, DG! I'm afraid I hadn't seen it, and probably wouldn't have, I've been a little tied up with this site (email sending problems, and "moving" the blog). Great cause and great idea. I've made a small donation earlier, and just now logged the cache. Best of luck!
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Special Request to Log a TerraCaching.com Locationless C

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed May 28, 2014 10:56 pm

Thanks! I'm already thinking of other ways to reach out to the geocaching community once the TC Instant Challenge has ended. A friend, Duke / FalconLoader, did a caching marathon road trip from MD to FL a number of years ago and had people pledge per D/T point (or just make a flat donation). I'm confident we'll be able to get the full 10 potential logs for $1000 from Cash108, but that will still leave a few other cachers that I'm sure could be enticed to support the fight.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image