Lesson Learned on Crosslisting

General Information About Geocaching
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Lesson Learned on Crosslisting

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:12 am

I recently cross listed my Islands cache from GC.com. I'd not gotten any DNF's on it and assumed all was well. Well, I should have known better. I knew there has been some construction going on for a while nearby, but not directly affecting GZ. I failed to take into account that the last logs (Found It) were on July 24. That's nearly 2 months ago.

I should have done a check on the cache before listing it here. At least with my 2 Good For Your Soul caches, they'd been very recently found before I crosslisted them. Unfortunately, sfcchaz spent over an hour searching yesterday. I'll be away camping this weekend, but I will be trying my best to check on it Sunday afternoon. In the meantime, I've disabled both the GC and OCUS listings.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

glorkar

Re: Lesson Learned on Crosslisting

Post by glorkar » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:58 am

Realistically, there was no way you could have known that the cache was missing/had a problem. That is why people should not be afraid to post their DNFs. It really does help the CO. Hopefully you can figure out a fix for it!
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:08 am

Yeah, but given it had been almost 2 months since a find and I was offering it to a new audience, I should have checked it.

I'd definitely advise anyone else crosslistng an existing cache to check on it before publishing it here, particularly if it has not been recently found.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:27 am

True, true.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

Mother Wolf

Post by Mother Wolf » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:26 am

Dont beat yourself up over it. I have a couple of caches that havent been found, or at least nothing has been logged either way for many many months but they are both still there (I checked them just a few weeks ago.