August 2014 OpenCachingNA Diversified Cacher Contest

General Information About Geocaching
TermiteHunter
Site Admin
Re: August 2014 OpenCachingNA Diversified Cacher Contest

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:15 pm

Got 2 monster caches today bringing my total to 10 but I guess they will be my last.
As a Freegan cacher I decline to purchase any nets. With no coins remaining and not being inclined to purchase more I am not likely to gain any more.
Maybe a referral will get me some but until then I'm out of the race to beat Mr.Yuck

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:32 am

TermiteHunter wrote:Got 2 monster caches today bringing my total to 10 but I guess they will be my last.
As a Freegan cacher I decline to purchase any nets. With no coins remaining and not being inclined to purchase more I am not likely to gain any more.
Maybe a referral will get me some but until then I'm out of the race to beat Mr.Yuck
Yeah, I guess Monster Cache is pay to play. Not a lot, but pay to play. Should we have put a disclaimer on the spreadsheet which shows the "60 actions"? They do have treasure chests, that contain free coins when you capture them. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they don't appear on the map until at least level 3, maybe even as high as 5. And the only one I ever opened only had 7 coins, but there could be real "treasures" out there. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

DisneyScout

Post by DisneyScout » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:46 am

I've found 3 treasure chests so far. I think two had 13 coins and 1 had 7. Referrals definitely helped me get further along, but I did break down and buy the unlimited nets. At level 6 you need a bucket of silver (150 coins) to be able to catch the level 6 monsters. I'm guessing there are more things to add to the nets as you get higher or there wouldn't be a need for 1500 coins that come with the unlimited nets. Level 10 seems to be the max at the moment though. The #1 person on the leader board has 1217 monsters caught and number 2 is only 377 and they are both level 10.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:00 am

Loaded Monster Cache app last night, grabbed 6 on the way to work this morning and broke into the top 100 players, hit level 2, and earned 3 badges. I plan to get at least 4 more at lunch today. Posted to Geocachers Unlimited on FB and my GC circle on G+. So far have gotten two referrals. Good to see that there is at least a way to get coins other than spending real money and the referrals. What is the deal with unlimited nets?

I definitely want to limit the amount of real money I spend on the game (that's one problem I have with Muzee).
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

DisneyScout

Post by DisneyScout » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:19 am

DudleyGrunt wrote:What is the deal with unlimited nets?
You can purchase unlimited nets for $17.99. It includes 1500 coins. I had two referrals and had found some treasure chests, but found this was something I could do with my kids while driving so went ahead and invested. The novelty of geocaching is wearing off on them. They hold my phone and let me know if we're close or if we just ran over a monster and I drive while doing errands. Sometimes we take a short detour. :D My husband is a little surprised that I went through my tank of gas so quickly this week though... :o

I've been considering Munzees. Has anyone done the cost comparison between buying premade Munzees and printing your own on appropriate waterproof stickers?

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:16 am

True NEON is red but other gases are used to create other colors and are called neon as well. The fluorescent ones use the same principle creating ultraviolet light that illuminates the phosphor coating inside the tube. They too would need a transformer of some sort to excite the gas. I guess you could tell the difference best when they are off and you can see if there is a coating in the tube

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:48 pm

On Android the unlimited nets are fully unlimited. I saw that on iOS you just need to let the MC team know if you are running low on your 1500 coins. I think it would be well worth it. It's much less that the typical premium memberships offered by some sites. I'd do $30 if they threw in other goodies, such as the "silver dust" you need to capture 5th level vampires. What other stuff do you need to capture higher level monsters?

I've had a couple big MC days since Friday and am now level 5 with over 50 monsters. I've also found some treasure chests. I haven't noticed, do treasure chests use up a net when you find them? That would be a waste if you are getting less than coins.

I asked the MC team, but I'm still unclear if monsters are like caches and remain indefinitely after being caught. Do they have a set life span? How do new monsters "spawn"? If I clear out an area, so new ones start showing up? How do treasure chests differ from the behavior of monsters in these regards.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:48 pm

On Android the unlimited nets are fully unlimited. I saw that on iOS you just need to let the MC team know if you are running low on your 1500 coins. I think it would be well worth it. It's much less that the typical premium memberships offered by some sites. I'd do $30 if they threw in other goodies, such as the "silver dust" you need to capture 5th level vampires. What other stuff do you need to capture higher level monsters?

I've had a couple big MC days since Friday and am now level 5 with over 50 monsters. I've also found some treasure chests. I haven't noticed, do treasure chests use up a net when you find them? That would be a waste if you are getting less than coins.

I asked the MC team, but I'm still unclear if monsters are like caches and remain indefinitely after being caught. Do they have a set life span? How do new monsters "spawn"? If I clear out an area, so new ones start showing up? How do treasure chests differ from the behavior of monsters in these regards.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

DisneyScout

Post by DisneyScout » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:01 pm

When I got to level 8, I needed Mirrors to capture Medusa (level 7). It's a one time purchase for the Bucket of Silver and for the Mirror. Bucket of Silver was 150 gold. Mirror was 250 gold. I still have over 1000 gold. I am assuming though there will be something I need to buy at either level 9 or 10. I have found several treasure chests. They do not appear to use nets.

I'm curious whether my monsters are different from other player's monsters. For example, if I catch the monster that shows on my screen at the entrance to BWI airport, does that mean no one else can get that monster? Or are our monsters independent of one another?

I know higher level monsters can appear in areas you've already cleared out, but I haven't seen monsters I cleared out come back. There is a setting to show monsters you've previously captured to verify that.

I'm currently level 8 with 84 monsters and 11 badges.

Badwolf1197

Post by Badwolf1197 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:17 pm

DisneyScout wrote:
DudleyGrunt wrote:What is the deal with unlimited nets?
I've been considering Munzees. Has anyone done the cost comparison between buying premade Munzees and printing your own on appropriate waterproof stickers?
I have not done a cost comparison but my son and I print and laminate or own Munzees that we can hang with Zip Ties. We also have a supply of premade stickers that we purchased from Munzee. Overall, I prefer our laminated Munzees for two reason: 1) we can make different background designs and 2) they can be removed easily. I know the stickers can be removed...but I still feel a little uneasy applying stickers to certain items around town.
DudleyGrunt wrote: I definitely want to limit the amount of real money I spend on the game (that's one problem I have with Muzee).
Agree. I don't mind the cost of the premade stickers (about $0.40 each). I consider the cost of these Munzees to be analogous to paying for cache containers and am paying for the convenience of getting fairly durable stickers. I do get frustrated at Munzee for having to spend significantly more than that for every special type Munzee/icon that they release. I like the points and leveling up in Munzee...but if you don't buy these high-point generating specials, you get points at a very slow place (especially if there are only 2-3 other players around). So basically you are paying for points.