Helping out an OCNA cache

General Information About Geocaching
TermiteHunter
Site Admin
Helping out an OCNA cache

Post by TermiteHunter » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:30 pm

While OCNA and the other alternative sites will check for caches listed elsewhere when reviewing a newly submitted cache for publication, GC being the big frog in the pond feels no obligation to do the same.

Not too long ago a GC cache placed under a park walkway bridge was archived. A fellow OCNA cacher took the opportunity to place an OCNA cache there as part of an Alternative to the Frog Contest. (http://www.opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=1842) More recently a GC cacher decided that the location was perfect for a cache and placed one on the other end of the same bridge never noticing the OCNA cache across the creek. Of course GC published it. (http://coord.info/GC5CQ3K ) As expected the OCNA cache was found instead of the GC cache during the initial FTF frenzy. One of the finders is an occasional OCNA user that logged the OCNA find on GC. He eventually went back to find the OCNA cache for another local club relay contest only to discover that he had already found it. That GC cache was archived by the CO once he learned about the OCNA cache.

The OCNA owner, RVStauff, suggested that someone hide a GC cache in the park that would put the bridge and its OCNA cache within its .1 mile radius. I took that mission on and did what was needed. I placed a GC cache outside the park so as to avoid having a conflict with other GC cache stages in the park yet still placing the bridge within its protective sphere. Of course I could not mention the true purpose of this cache in the cache page but it does work. I suppose I could leave something in the container itself to explain it and advertise the nearby cache or even alter the description now that it is published to reflect its real mission but for now I will let THE PROTECTOR ( http://coord.info/GC5MKY8 ) silently perform his task.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: Helping out an OCNA cache

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:11 am

Took me a while to figure out what was going on, but great idea! Thanks. NIce of the cache owner to archive his too. What's up with Therapaint's log on your cache though? :o
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:43 pm

It all worked out quite well

We have s thread for the log of the day where we post outstanding. Strange. Disappointing logs. One of my last was simply an F. TP found it amusing and decided to give me another Fing log

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:33 pm

Well the Protector is doing its job keeping GC caches out of the area. Getting plenty of finds since it is easy and accessible.
I recently added a link to "The Protected" on the otherwise spartan GC cache page in hopes that it might generate a few finds. None as yet but one can hope. I wish I could track how many actually click the link to the protected OCNA cache. This cache has only about 50 more "looks" than a nearby OCNA cache that went up at about the same time. So maybe a few have clicked the link but not bothered to make the find but then the link is still new to the page.