Status

General Information About Geocaching
TermiteHunter
Site Admin
Status

Post by TermiteHunter » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:47 pm

I have recently joined the admin team for my local club that still maintains an active website that has not been supplanted by facebook.
Charlottegeocaching.com
We cover the surrounding counties of Charlotte NC with many members (yes even somewhat active members) located in other States.
I have and will continue to advocate for OCNA within the clubs contests and postings.

That along with keeping the OCNA WIKI up to date within my limited abilities (even though MrYuck has yet to update the WIKIGUY on the admin team here...(wink wink nudge nudge)

My own caching has slowed but I do remain active on both websites and forums for the GCCG, GC and OCNA.
For some reason (DG)I even participated in the Geocaching podcast recently.

I know this forum is little used but let me know if there is anything I can do

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: Status

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:24 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:I have recently joined the admin team for my local club that still maintains an active website that has not been supplanted by facebook.
Charlottegeocaching.com
We cover the surrounding counties of Charlotte NC with many members (yes even somewhat active members) located in other States.
I have and will continue to advocate for OCNA within the clubs contests and postings.

That along with keeping the OCNA WIKI up to date within my limited abilities (even though MrYuck has yet to update the WIKIGUY on the admin team here...(wink wink nudge nudge)

My own caching has slowed but I do remain active on both websites and forums for the GCCG, GC and OCNA.
For some reason (DG)I even participated in the Geocaching podcast recently.

I know this forum is little used but let me know if there is anything I can do
Ha! Little used? not only does hardly anyone ever post, in a good month, it only has 500 visits (I installed Google Analytics on it about 6 months ago). And yes, that includes me looking here almost every single day making sure there are no spammer accounts created. And I'm sure DG checks in at least 20 times a month. :mrgreen: It's bad for traditional Geocaching forums, my own local forum, moderately active (much more that this one, at least) up until last Summer then completely died to this level, and is staying there. And that's even with the worst winter in 40 years in these parts. People couldn't Geocache with 2.5 feet of snowpack and below freezing temperatures for 2 months straight, and they still didn't go to that forum. I'm sure they posted to Faceplant every day though. We need to get more active with our Facebook page. Anyways, great to see GCGC still thriving, especially with those contests. I don't know how you guys do it. The internet is absolutely littered with dead Geocaching forums.

Oh yeah, I did say I was going to update the OC team, didn't I? Geez, you could have reminded me before now. :D

Congrats on the new position, and thank you for continuing to promote OCNA in the contest and postings over there. Charlotte is definitely our most loyal and consistent "hotbed". In the other hotbeds, the caches remain, but with VERY little activity after initial interest.
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:35 am

Count me for multiple checks per day.

I think a large part of the GCGC remaining active has been the contests and relays. There is almost always something going on keeping the regulars active and even bringing in new members.

I think the GCGC does have a fb page but It is the dead site for us. I don't do fb so I haven't looked in a while

Our next activity will be to bring back archives caches. Some may need to use OCNA to list Them with proximity rules much like I did with something is out there that I brought back after years of neglect

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:39 am

Tapatalk may not count, I'm not sure. Nor am I going to investigate further. :D

Your name is up in lights!! a belated welcome to the OC Team!!! I did not "fire" the inactive moderators (3 of them haven't logged into the forums since 2011), but I did take their name off the OC Team page. :)
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:28 pm

Hey, I got like 45 people to come here on Sunday 4/26 by posting that thread about GeoGet to our Twitter. :D
ImageImage