Events

General Information About Geocaching
Memfis Mafia
Events

Post by Memfis Mafia » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:11 am

I have hosted a few events recently. They have all been cross listed as I would not likely get a single visitor in my area if not. The good thing is I do get to spread the word about OCNA while there.

I intend to do a cacher coffee event soon. I would like to offer two ways to attend this event. The first and most obvious way is to be sitting in the coffee shop with me. The second, and subject of this question, is for people to be able to log on to the google hangout link I will provide.

I know this is specifically against the rules on the frog site. Is it illegal here as well?

If it were permissible I think it would be a great way to get cacher together for workshop or discussion type events.

Thoughts?

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: Events

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:13 am

Memfis Mafia wrote:I have hosted a few events recently. They have all been cross listed as I would not likely get a single visitor in my area if not. The good thing is I do get to spread the word about OCNA while there.

I intend to do a cacher coffee event soon. I would like to offer two ways to attend this event. The first and most obvious way is to be sitting in the coffee shop with me. The second, and subject of this question, is for people to be able to log on to the google hangout link I will provide.

I know this is specifically against the rules on the frog site. Is it illegal here as well?

If it were permissible I think it would be a great way to get cacher together for workshop or discussion type events.

Thoughts?
Believe it or not, I hosted (a then OCUS) only event in 2010, and 20 people showed up! 3 others in my area since have had between 5-10 people. I would say no problem with the Google Hangout. We are Open, after all. I tend to go by the "rules" of the site in question. For example, I enthusiastically log moving caches designed to be carried to events here (or BIT's on vehicles even) but have never logged a moving cache passed around an event on Geocaching.com.

DG and/or NT on the Google Hangout?
ImageImage

Memfis Mafia

Post by Memfis Mafia » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:05 pm

I'll see what I can set up and see who all we can get on the hangout. Definite benefit to this site is getting to be creative and try some different things.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:30 am

Memfis Mafia wrote:I'll see what I can set up and see who all we can get on the hangout. Definite benefit to this site is getting to be creative and try some different things.
My fellow admin's DG and NT would probably show up on a Google hangout. They're both all set up with webcams and stuff for doing interviews on Podcasts. I actually like this idea, and I seriously doubt either would have a problem with it. By the way, I think I know why you asked that question. :D Just don't go distributing lists of thousands of GeoKrety's that you've never touched at these events. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

Memfis Mafia

Post by Memfis Mafia » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:01 pm

My thoughts for this are more about workshop style events. I have looked into GeoKrety's but don;t know much about them. I assume there has been an issue in the past with people sharing them. I'm also looking into the idea of a Munzee related event. All of this is on hold while I heal however.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:52 am

Memfis Mafia wrote:My thoughts for this are more about workshop style events. I have looked into GeoKrety's but don;t know much about them. I assume there has been an issue in the past with people sharing them. I'm also looking into the idea of a Munzee related event. All of this is on hold while I heal however.
Just kidding about the sharing of GeoKret's. I'll send you an email to make that less cryptic, I want to hear how you're doing! I considered starting "alternative to the Frog" events, which would be a Munzee event, held in conjunction with a Geocaching event listed only here (cross-posted on gpsgames.org and Terracaching, or even opencaching.com would be fine), but the trend in my area is for Munzee event host to drop $200 or more at Munzee HQ for a unique badge, event Munzees, removal of proximity rules for the event, etc... and I don't want my Munzee event to be cheesy compared to the standard in my area. However, I may hook up with one of the Munzee event hosts to try this.
ImageImage