Pokémon Go

General Information About Geocaching
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Pokémon Go

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:30 pm

Why not, it's being discussed everywhere else in the Geocaching world.

Crazy, man. This thing could surpass the popularity of Geocaching in one week. You think I'm kidding? I'm not. Geocaching is still a fringe element after all these years. Dinosaurs, we are.

Have you tried Pokémon Go? Are you going to?
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Pokémon Go

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:05 pm

I've not. Don't think I will.

In an unrelated note, I've been trying to get the poor man's Pokemon Go (Monster Cache) to work on my phone again. I hit 1000 in October and decided to "retire", but noticed recently that SoccerFanatics (one of my TC sponsors) has been in the top 3 players. I thought I might play with it again, now that I've mostly dropped off of Munzee. Apparently, there is an issue with Samsung Galaxy S7's that can make location apps erroneously think you've enabled mock location, thus causing the apps (like MC) to not work.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:34 pm

Pokémon Go has already surpassed geocaching in less than one week. I'm playing it, and I'm meeting all kinds of new players. The Wal-Mart parking lot looked like a Geocaching Mega event a few nights ago with all of the PG players. Our Church has a Gym, and even my small hometown has 3 Gyms and several stops. This game is wild fire where Munzee and Ingress was not popular.

I'm getting out and walking more playing Pokémon Go than I have with Geocaching in the last few years, and the best part is that my family is interested in Pokémon Go where they have no interest in geocaching anymore.

Geocaching here in my area is limited to one small group of friends, kinda like OCNA is here, just a very few people taking part in the hobby. I have two caches at rest areas in Tennessee that get a few logs, but none of my other caches are being logged, and we have almost 200 active listings. I counted nine people playing Pokémon Go while on my two mile walk around a little hick town in Virginia last night, so I can only imagine what it's like in a large city.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:20 pm

I would give it a run but my phone is not compatable. I'm sure it is highly active here but I have yet to see anyone playing of course I haven't been to a park since it came out

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Tapatalk

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:26 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:I would give it a run but my phone is not compatable. I'm sure it is highly active here but I have yet to see anyone playing of course I haven't been to a park since it came out

Your SPH-M840 should be compatible. All you need is a google account, and I suggest a dump account like I use for geocaching. Also be careful what you allow the app to have access to such as contacts and other media. All it needs is access to your camera and location.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:00 pm

I would have thought that it would be but...I went to Google play store, found the app. The page had a colored bar that states "your device is not compatable with this app" or some such language. Didn't even try.

It is a samsung galaxy ring which is probably just below the threshold and I do have one out more Google accounts

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:01 pm

OK, I'm doing this crap. Level 4 after 2 days, although I downloaded and caught the first one last week, and didn't touch it for several days after that. I have to say, it's pretty cool. The first couple of times I went to a Pokestop, I didn't know how to do it (the instructions in the app are very vague), but I figured that out with Google. The Map is so cool! It shows streets and buildings and bodies of water, very accurately, although there are no street names. I cannot go to any "Gyms" yet, as you have to be level 5 to do that. And that will be a whole new learning experience. I have yet to spend a penny on it.
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:16 pm

Geocaching was never about the numbers for me, and it has been addicting to me. Waymarking to some is about filling grids. Pokémon Go is all about the numbers and filling grids, and it is much more fun and addicting than either. I'm on level 12, and have not spent any money yet, and likely may not. My whole family is enjoying Pokémon Go, and we control most of the local gyms now. We joined Team Instinct, the Yellow Team.

This game is Zubat poop crazy! It made local headlines in the Kingsport Times News today.

I have almost forgot about geocaching, and I'm sure we will see a decline in new members and new cache placements and more people leaving the game along with unmaintained geolitter.

Gotta go, gotta make a run to town and catch more Pokémon. ;)
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:34 am

I probably won't play. I've just stepped back from Munzee to concentrate on caching and letterboxing more.

Do appreciate that it is getting a lot of folks out and about who wouldn't otherwise.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:00 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:I probably won't play. I've just stepped back from Munzee to concentrate on caching and letterboxing more.

Do appreciate that it is getting a lot of folks out and about who wouldn't otherwise.
I have a blog post going out tonight about several news articles that compare it to Geocaching, and I plan on doing a review of the game from the perspective of a old school, 13 year, still plugs a handheld GPS into a computer, Geocacher. Hey, it makes for content, which we need. It's not like you're going to see the Geocaching.com blog address it. :D
ImageImage