Pokémon Go

General Information About Geocaching
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Re: Pokémon Go

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:06 pm

Manville Possum Hunters wrote:Geocaching was never about the numbers for me, and it has been addicting to me. Waymarking to some is about filling grids. Pokémon Go is all about the numbers and filling grids, and it is much more fun and addicting than either. I'm on level 12, and have not spent any money yet, and likely may not. My whole family is enjoying Pokémon Go, and we control most of the local gyms now. We joined Team Instinct, the Yellow Team.

This game is Zubat poop crazy! It made local headlines in the Kingsport Times News today.

I have almost forgot about geocaching, and I'm sure we will see a decline in new members and new cache placements and more people leaving the game along with unmaintained geolitter.

Gotta go, gotta make a run to town and catch more Pokémon. ;)
Well, when you take a break from it, address this please. I'm a rank amateur, but I am the most knowledgeable person about it at a forum I frequent. I was asked what happens if you're out in a group catching characters together. Say like 4 people. Do you all stumble on the same character, and only one person can get it? Do people even see the same characters while walking around together in a Park?
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:08 pm

I'll watch for it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:58 pm

I was out yesterday at a local shopping area and from my observation of players and from what i have heard about people congregating i think they see the same pokemon at a given location but can't answer as to of only one or all get to capture it

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:07 pm

Mr.Yuck wrote: Well, when you take a break from it, address this please. I'm a rank amateur, but I am the most knowledgeable person about it at a forum I frequent. I was asked what happens if you're out in a group catching characters together. Say like 4 people. Do you all stumble on the same character, and only one person can get it? Do people even see the same characters while walking around together in a Park?
The group would encounter the same Pokemon, but everyone can catch it. If the Pokemon is difficult to catch,you can feed it a Razz Berry and it will be easier to catch.

I have deployed incense that lasts for 30 minutes when I walk around town to attract them, and there are Lure Modules that can be deployed at PokeStops that attracts them to the stop. you can tell when someone has deployed a Lure Module to the stop, that also attracts other players to visit the Stop.

PokeBalls, Lure Modules, Razz Berrys, Potion and Revive meds can all be found at stops. Pretty much, you can play PG for free.

Another tip, about hatching the eggs found at stops. Some hatch in 2.0 km, 5.0 km, and 10 km. Your mileage is not registered if you exceed 6 mph. It may have been a good idea for the whole app to not function after 6 mph to prevent people from driving and playing. ;)
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:34 pm

Manville Possum Hunters wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote: Well, when you take a break from it, address this please. I'm a rank amateur, but I am the most knowledgeable person about it at a forum I frequent. I was asked what happens if you're out in a group catching characters together. Say like 4 people. Do you all stumble on the same character, and only one person can get it? Do people even see the same characters while walking around together in a Park?
The group would encounter the same Pokemon, but everyone can catch it. If the Pokemon is difficult to catch,you can feed it a Razz Berry and it will be easier to catch.

I have deployed incense that lasts for 30 minutes when I walk around town to attract them, and there are Lure Modules that can be deployed at PokeStops that attracts them to the stop. you can tell when someone has deployed a Lure Module to the stop, that also attracts other players to visit the Stop.

PokeBalls, Lure Modules, Razz Berrys, Potion and Revive meds can all be found at stops. Pretty much, you can play PG for free.

Another tip, about hatching the eggs found at stops. Some hatch in 2.0 km, 5.0 km, and 10 km. Your mileage is not registered if you exceed 6 mph. It may have been a good idea for the whole app to not function after 6 mph to prevent people from driving and playing. ;)
Confirmed after a stampede in Central Park in NYC on Friday, July 15th to capture a rare Pokemon creature. Once it's captured, it lingers on everyone else's apps for "a few minutes", according to a news article about the stampede. I guess there is video of it on YouTube too. I mean no one was hurt, from what I heard.

I have no freaking clue what to do at the Gyms. I can battle, but the creature will have a CP of like 600-1000, and all mine are under 100. I also went to a Blue Gym (I choose team Blue), but no clue what to do there either.
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:37 am

Mr.Yuck wrote: I have no freaking clue what to do at the Gyms. I can battle, but the creature will have a CP of like 600-1000, and all mine are under 100. I also went to a Blue Gym (I choose team Blue), but no clue what to do there either.
Keep one of each type, transfer the others in trade for candy to the professor, then evolve and power up to get more CP. I'm still building up mine, but have dropped some off to help at Yellow gyms, I have about 4 over 1220 CP.

I'm learning as I go, and mostly I'm out walking over 2 miles each day, but I do drive to different locations and restart the app, just like geocaching, clear out an area then move to another.

This game is fun to me, and I would never play Munzee or Ingress. I spent a few hours today with the famous Mega numbers cacher Ranger Fox in a smelly storm drain in Kingsport, Tn looking for a geocache, and that is the most fun I have had in a long time playing geocaching. Tonight, I went for a solo walk in Gate City, Va and ended up playing Pokemon for around 3 hours and meet several people doing the same.

We (my crew) have been archiving quite a few geocaches listed on Groundspeak along fitness trails in our area, they are just not being found, or have already been found, but no finds within the last year.

I know I pissed off the admins here when I archived my OCNA listings, but they were not being logged and I strongly dislike stale data like the Terra Caching site and LitterBoxing has to offer.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:06 am

Mr.Yuck wrote: I have no freaking clue what to do at the Gyms. I can battle, but the creature will have a CP of like 600-1000, and all mine are under 100. I also went to a Blue Gym (I choose team Blue), but no clue what to do there either.
Keep one of each type, transfer the others in trade for candy to the professor, then evolve and power up to get more CP. I'm still building up mine, but have dropped some off to help at Yellow gyms, I have about 4 over 1220 CP.

I'm learning as I go, and mostly I'm out walking over 2 miles each day, but I do drive to different locations and restart the app, just like geocaching, clear out an area then move to another.

This game is fun to me, and I would never play Munzee or Ingress. I spent a few hours today with the famous Mega numbers cacher Ranger Fox in a smelly storm drain in Kingsport, Tn looking for a geocache, and that is the most fun I have had in a long time playing geocaching. Tonight, I went for a solo walk in Gate City, Va and ended up playing Pokemon for around 3 hours and meet several people doing the same.

We (my crew) have been archiving quite a few geocaches listed on Groundspeak along fitness trails in our area, they are just not being found, or have already been found, but no finds within the last year.

I know I pissed off the admins here when I archived my OCNA listings, but they were not being logged and I strongly dislike stale data like the Terra Caching site and LitterBoxing has to offer.
I don't know how to do anything but battle at the gyms!! Even the friendly blue ones, it takes me right into a battle, which I always lose very quickly.
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:49 am

Sorry, that last post was a quick hit, I didn't address anything else. Pissed off? Naw. Now if you do it a third time, I'll be pissed off. :D

Oh yeah, I heard of that Ranger Fox guy. Isn't he the guy whose doing his utmost to keep Wherigo alive?

Our caches don't get found much, but I don't know that we have any really stale ones. I once did go through every single one listed as being cross listed on Geocaching.com, and checked them manually. Found almost 20 that were archived over there. Killed them all here, and I actually pissed off two people! Including an early supporter from 2010 (who is now long gone). Dude freaking unfollowed us on Twitter! I occasionally run one of those "who unfollowed me" third party apps. I'll tell you what's stale in the US, Sighter. Own over 100, and no one has found a single one since 9/2014! And I even have a couple each in Washington, D.C. and Gettysburg.

Litterboxing (Good one) is beyond dead. Go to Google trends and run that one through. It's graph looks like the graph for myspace.com. :lol: Funny thing though, I've been caching since 2003. Back in the old days, when Litter er, I mean Letterboxing was still moderately popular, a lot of them despised us, because they thought our bigger, more well-known game made their similar game look bad. Guess what I'm hearing over and over from some Geocachers about Pokemon Go these days??
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Ranger Fox is the founder of the Wherigo Foundation, and I do believe he is the only one keeping Groundspeak's Wherigo site going. Those are a fun cache type. I created one and have played 4 or so. They are just not many in my area. I used my FakeGPS app to narrow down 2 reverse WIG's from home. :)

As for weeding out stale data, it needs to be done. I know that when I post NA it upsets people, but that is part of this game, geocaches do require maintenance. Except for power trails, they are self maintaining. ;)
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:17 pm

1. I was doing some Sightering Saturday afternoon while on the National Mall in DC. A family walked past me and the son (10?) asked me if I was playing...you guessed it...Pokemon Go. His family was moving along, so I just said no and attempted to show him my screen. I hadn't done any Sighter in a while, but knew there were a number there on the Mall. I really wish they would make it possible to view the map with only the Sights I need.

2. There are a few local in Maryland who create Whereigos. I've been doing a lot recently and probably have at least a few more trips to Southern Maryland, where most are concentrated, before I start running out.

3. I've found Letterboxing to be more active than I had previously thought - especially the AtlasQuest site. I had been on a kick late last year, but do plan on working on more around here.

4. I've even trying to get Monster Cache working on my phone, again. Apparently, there is a problem with Galaxy S7's falsely reporting Mock Location as being enabled for apps that check that sort of thing, like MC does.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image