Loveland Area Caches Gone

General Information About Geocaching
Bon Echo
Site Admin
Re: Loveland Area Caches Gone

Post by Bon Echo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:57 pm

Manville Possum Hunters wrote:. Am I really the only person that has a problem resizing images to upload to this site? I did manage to resize and upload one for my web cam.
No, you're not. Yes resizing images is a pain and for a while I just posted the photo to Flickr and them linked them into my listings or logs. The change to the 500kb size limit is a welcomed move. Yes, having the images automatically resized for us would be great. Maybe if we all start sending $30 per year to OCNA HQ we could expect those conveniences. Yes, I know you didn't suggest that. In the meantime, resizing an image is not an insurmountable task. If you are taking pictures specifically for the website, just set your camera to a low size / resolution and you should be able to get decent images but still under 500kbs (on my nikon S9700 it takes about 2 seconds to set to 2mp and i get pictures around 400kbs in size) . Or you can resize an image easily enough in Paint (one of the most basic programs to use - honestly it's about 10 clicks start-to-finish on any Windows OS and I will provide step-by-step instructions if you want), or use one of the many online resizers including one I used once (but now can't find) where you could specify max file size and it would determine what pixel size to use.

Surely resizing an image is easier and quicker than figuring out how to catch pokemons.

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:56 pm

I would not mind paying to support a site that I use. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, I did use paint to resize one image, now I have totally blurred the one that I took of TH's Probe Ship in OBX. I do have a Flicar account. I don't even use a real camera anymore, I have a Droid Turbo and all of my files go directly to my Google and Flicar accounts.

No joke, I've played around trying to learn how to resize photos to this site until my head aches. I love being able to post photos with my cache logs, and have a nice collection stored on GroundSpeak's sites.

That is the reason I don't require visit photos to my virtual listings on this site, and use the logging code option. I suspect that others have problems uploading photos as well.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Bon Echo
Site Admin

Post by Bon Echo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:22 pm

Manville Possum Hunters wrote: all of my files go directly to my Google and Flicar accounts.
Automatically? I mean, you take a photo with your phone and it ends up in your flickr account automatically? that's neat. then just use a link to your photos (although I will add that uploading them to the OCNA site is the best way to prevent against broken links in the future).

Step1 - write your log or your cache description using the "editor" tab
Step2: in flickr, get the link: while viewing your photo, select the curved arrow to the bottom left "share photo".; Choose "embed" and select the size you want (example medium 600x800)
Step 3: back on OCNA, switch to HTML mode and paste the link from flickr
Step 4: switch back to Editor mode and make sure it looks good
Step 5: submit
hint: if you don;t want the photo to hyperlink back to your flickr account, delete the first and last part of the link, so that all you keep is the < img src=> segment, like this:
< img src="https://c5.staticflickr.com/2/1621/2531 ... f80b_c.jpg" width="600" height="800" alt="InvadingTheNiagaraPennisula">

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:19 pm

Thanks for your help, I got my photo to upload on The Frisco Futuro - OU06F8. :D
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd