Loveland Area Caches Gone

General Information About Geocaching
Bon Echo
Site Admin
Re: Loveland Area Caches Gone

Post by Bon Echo » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:43 am

There are no "active" alternative cachers in my area - closest active location really is Buffalo NY (the "home" of OCNA HQ, been there!). But there were a number of what I'll call high caliber cachers who hid a number of quality caches around 2009-2011 on OCNA and TC. And because they were quality and well-placed containers they're still in good shape many years later. How do we tell if one is "abandoned" or if they are just left waiting for a find? I know I;ve been in touch with a few owners, they know the cache is still out there and they choose to leave it in play - even though they are not "active" on the sites anymore.

I can't comment then on the situation where you live, could very well be different. One thing I will say is that it everyone on OCNA archived their caches for lack of local players, the map would get pretty empty save for Buffalo, DC and Charlotte. The way I see it is no one around here will ever be interested in alt site caching if there are no caches for them to find. So I keep hiding them. I like it when they get found, but I don't play for it. I have a couple dozen caches on ground$peak and they get found fairly regularly so I get a lot of copy-and-paste logs, especially when the numbers groups come through ("found 50 caches today and your cache was one of them tftc").

As for proximity, none of my caches have proximity issues - each one is at least 300' from the nearest OCNA cache (virtuals, webcams, and guestbooks excluded). I try to stay 100' from a GS cache but honestly don't really care how close together they are as long as I think the two will won't get confused. Letterboxers only stay away from where geocaches are hidden so their letterboxes won't get trashed and the handcarved stamps won't get traded out for McSwag (and btw letterboxes can be 10' apart, no one cares there because it's not a problem and rarely are they so close and there's no such thing as a power trail in letterboxing). I use the same principle for OCNA caches. Please don't take the rules from one website and force-fit them onto another. My latest OCNA cache (Snake Rd) is in the range of 300' from the nearest GC cache and it's over 3 miles to the nearest OCNA cache, good enough for me.

MPH, I've always liked your high standards for alternative geocache sites - I quickly noticed that back on the Garmin site. That site had problems because the corporation let anything go. It's different here; there are guidelines (albeit loose ones, as per the "open" name) and more importantly a team of active admin that consider each and every cache submission. Why try to squeeze the site into a box it doesn't belong in?

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:51 pm

Dude. Manny, I mean. This website costs $16 a month. It used to cost more, but we're in our comfort zone with Kickassd, Inc. out of Montreal, now. Why are you dissing us in the Froggie forums? Not that anyone has ever responded to any of your dissing posts over there, that I have seen. And then you proceed to diss us in our own forums? Third Party Libertarian Candidate for President Gary Johnson has a slogan. "You In"? So are you or not? We can certainly take constructive criticism, such as DG putting an OCNA ONLY attribute on a new cache submitted to us that showed up on Geocaching.com a few days later. But you're killing me here, man. You in? :D
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:59 am

Mr.Yuck wrote:Dude. Manny, I mean. This website costs $16 a month. It used to cost more, but we're in our comfort zone with Kickassd, Inc. out of Montreal, now. Why are you dissing us in the Froggie forums? Not that anyone has ever responded to any of your dissing posts over there, that I have seen. And then you proceed to diss us in our own forums? Third Party Libertarian Candidate for President Gary Johnson has a slogan. "You In"? So are you or not? We can certainly take constructive criticism, such as DG putting an OCNA ONLY attribute on a new cache submitted to us that showed up on Geocaching.com a few days later. But you're killing me here, man. You in? :D

Am I in? You tell me. I was part of the OCNA team and you informed me that I quit when I archived my listings (all but one) here. I thought I was one of the oldest active members here?

OCNA is more like your personal geocache listing blog site, and at $16 a month that is awesome for you. :P In the past I really have enjoyed listing geocaches on OCNA, it would be nice and keep me interested if they ever got any finds. As a Waymarker I can stand the no visits thingy, but when I hide a traditional geocache I expect finds within a year or two unless it's an epic hide or something.

I'm in as far as me being an OCNA customer/member or whatever, and OCNA is only an alternative geocache listing service for me.

I'm not really sure why you don't like GroundSpeak, other than because they are a real business for profit and not someone's pet web site, or because they kicked you out of their forums.

My opinion is that OCNA should be it's own site and not the "We're not Them" site. I can look at T/C and Navi Cache where they failed, and pissing on the Frog was not part of their agenda. It's dumped off listings and members that simple left the game.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:13 am

Manville Possum Hunters wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:Dude. Manny, I mean. This website costs $16 a month. It used to cost more, but we're in our comfort zone with Kickassd, Inc. out of Montreal, now. Why are you dissing us in the Froggie forums? Not that anyone has ever responded to any of your dissing posts over there, that I have seen. And then you proceed to diss us in our own forums? Third Party Libertarian Candidate for President Gary Johnson has a slogan. "You In"? So are you or not? We can certainly take constructive criticism, such as DG putting an OCNA ONLY attribute on a new cache submitted to us that showed up on Geocaching.com a few days later. But you're killing me here, man. You in? :D

Am I in? You tell me. I was part of the OCNA team and you informed me that I quit when I archived my listings (all but one) here. I thought I was one of the oldest active members here?

OCNA is more like your personal geocache listing blog site, and at $16 a month that is awesome for you. :P In the past I really have enjoyed listing geocaches on OCNA, it would be nice and keep me interested if they ever got any finds. As a Waymarker I can stand the no visits thingy, but when I hide a traditional geocache I expect finds within a year or two unless it's an epic hide or something.

I'm in as far as me being an OCNA customer/member or whatever, and OCNA is only an alternative geocache listing service for me.

I'm not really sure why you don't like GroundSpeak, other than because they are a real business for profit and not someone's pet web site, or because they kicked you out of their forums.

My opinion is that OCNA should be it's own site and not the "We're not Them" site. I can look at T/C and Navi Cache where they failed, and pissing on the Frog was not part of their agenda. It's dumped off listings and members that simple left the game.
I informed you that you quit, you're a funny guy. :D

I've never been a fan of Groundspeak, and I signed up for alternatives pretty much as soon as I knew there were any. I do not like the way they "took over" a free open source game, and made a business out of it, and a monopoly on it to boot. It didn't just happen, JI was scheming to run the game before he even went out and found a cache (that's a fact, he bought the domain name July 3rd, 2000). And of course I've disagreed with many of their decisions over the years, killing virtuals, replacing them with that silly failed Waymarking site, for one. I could go on, but I won't.

And yes, my dislike for them increased about 100 fold when I was banned from their forums. But no, "THEY" didn't ban me (and two other guys at the same time). It's not like they held a meeting in the conference room or something. An arrogant, egotistical hot shot newbie employee they put in charge of the forums did.

The we're not them site? I don't know how any of the alternatives can not fall into that trap. But we do have several cache types only available here and nowhere else. And we're adding a new one too, Benchmarks. I suppose you won't like that one. :lol:

P.S. What make you think Terracaching.com has failed? Going strong, and also has a unique cache type, cyber caches.
ImageImage

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:57 am

Lets see, drops in to set the world on fire with 79 caches that last like two weeks then picks up his toys and leaves the sand box. Sounds like quitting, sounds like passive aggressive immature delta bravo basement dwelling behavior. Whats next, challenge people to a fight?

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:14 pm

Sabrefan7 wrote:Lets see, drops in to set the world on fire with 79 caches that last like two weeks then picks up his toys and leaves the sand box. Sounds like quitting, sounds like passive aggressive immature delta bravo basement dwelling behavior. Whats next, challenge people to a fight?
Classy. Not what I would expect from you. Sorry, but shit like this make this site less useable for me. I'm not here to argue about what I post in another geocache listing service's forums.

Keeping up with the topic, at least I archived my caches first before I pulled them because of lack of interest in them.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:55 pm

Mr.Yuck wrote:An arrogant, egotistical hot shot newbie employee they put in charge of the forums did.
Imagine that, some Lackey in their forums pissed you off and now you really hate the whole listing service. :o I can understand that. ;)

I'm glad to hear that OCNA will be offering BM's as a cache type. They are a favorite category of mine on the Waymarking site. :D
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:51 pm

Mr.Yuck wrote:An arrogant, egotistical hot shot newbie employee they put in charge of the forums did.
Imagine that, some Lackey in their forums pissed you off and now you really hate the whole listing service. :o I can understand that. ;)

I'm glad to hear that OCNA will be offering BM's as a cache type. They are a favorite category of mine on the Waymarking site. :D
I deleted a double post of yours. Just setting the record straight, we do not delete posts without comment around here. Other Geocaching sites, I can't speak for. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that's happened to you before. :o

No, no, I don't "hate" them for the forum ban. Nor did I ever say I hate them. Did I not say I was never a fan? Talk about a classic case of cybersquatting. And most of the Geocaching world is just fine with it. Well, not this guy. :shock: As a matter of fact, I'm going to invent a word right now, here in this forum. GoThorpViewNow. If you go to GoDaddy.com and register GoThorpViewNow.com, and create a website for it, I'm going to sue your pants off for stealing my intellectual property. And I'd win in a microsecond.

Interesting, I did not think you would be a fan of the benchmark cache type. I like it. Groundspeak only ever listed NGS Benchmarks, which are U.S. only, and most of the world was left out. And there are all other kinds of benchmarks in the U.S., State and local ones, and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers ones. And of course nothing in Canada fit the bill there.
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:30 pm

Mr.Yuck wrote:

I deleted a double post of yours. Just setting the record straight, we do not delete posts without comment around here. Other Geocaching sites, I can't speak for. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that's happened to you before. :o

No, no, I don't "hate" them for the forum ban. Nor did I ever say I hate them. Did I not say I was never a fan? Talk about a classic case of cybersquatting. And most of the Geocaching world is just fine with it. Well, not this guy. :shock: As a matter of fact, I'm going to invent a word right now, here in this forum. GoThorpViewNow. If you go to GoDaddy.com and register GoThorpViewNow.com, and create a website for it, I'm going to sue your pants off for stealing my intellectual property. And I'd win in a microsecond.

Interesting, I did not think you would be a fan of the benchmark cache type. I like it. Groundspeak only ever listed NGS Benchmarks, which are U.S. only, and most of the world was left out. And there are all other kinds of benchmarks in the U.S., State and local ones, and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers ones. And of course nothing in Canada fit the bill there.
I do wish that you had not deleted what somehow ended up as a double post... the part where I asked that Saberfan7 get their facts right and not post made-up BS that I only listed caches here for two weeks. You know different, I once was a productive member here and enjoyed listing here on OCNA.

Me not like BM's? They are a favorite of mine. As for "Groundspeak only ever listed NGS Benchmarks", there are also several categories for other kinds as well on their Waymarking site. I recently listed one and visited a few in Kentucky's High Point, there is an EarthCache there too.

I would be interested in listing some of the BM's that I have recovered and listed on the Waymarking site to OCNA.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:14 pm

I do wish that you had not deleted what somehow ended up as a double post... the part where I asked that Saberfan7 get their facts right and not post made-up BS that I only listed caches here for two weeks. You know different, I once was a productive member here and enjoyed listing here on OCNA.
Oh crap. Let me see if I can recover that. This is forum software, not related to the website proper, and no one is crazy familiar with it. I mean look at it, are these active forums? Even spammers don't bother with it any longer.

Yes, of course, they listed many other types of Benchmarks once Waymarking.com came out (including our friends in Canada), but it was always an NGS thing. And that's going back to when they were prominently listed on their site, not almost hidden from view, unless you knew where to look.
ImageImage