New Benchmark cache type

General Information About Geocaching
TermiteHunter
Site Admin
New Benchmark cache type

Post by TermiteHunter » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:29 am

I have asked my local forum (the Greater Charlotte Geocaching Club) to comment on the new Benchmark cache type.
I had trouble finding our discussions since the problems arose with the site so I put one here for them to find.

Please feel free to re-itterate any comments previously mentioned about the implementation of this new cache type.

How do you feel about OCNA retaining listings submitted by members? Expect that the submitter will be given substatial credit for the submission but will no longer be able to directly alter the listing.

How should the listing be formatted? (a pre-formatted form that the submitter completes, free form, basic format with room to personalize)

How to log? photo required, logging password, just say I did etc

Enticements for listing/ logging? special stats for Benchmarks in bannner etc

What qualifies? does it have to say "Benchmark" on the marker, other markers and what might they be?

I know many of these have been covered but feel free to say them again. Be as specific as possible and support your argument in some maner. Why do you feel this way about what you prefer. It helps in the decision making process. Nothing has yet been decided so say it all but take the time to support your particular argument. We want all to want to list theirs here and make it interesting for those that find them.

Bon Echo
Site Admin

Re: New Benchmark cache type

Post by Bon Echo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:50 am

Here is that discussion. It's all there, the thread sort of went cold before the site troubles started. But it is in a odd spot (although it does make sense to in some way)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1812

And here is the original discussion started in 2010 which I restarted over a year and a half ago - see page 2, 3rd post. It was my first OCNA post fwiw. Yes I really like benchmarks!

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=374

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:12 pm

Bon Echo wrote:Here is that discussion. It's all there, the thread sort of went cold before the site troubles started. But it is in a odd spot (although it does make sense to in some way)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1812

And here is the original discussion started in 2010 which I restarted over a year and a half ago - see page 2, 3rd post. It was my first OCNA post fwiw. Yes I really like benchmarks!

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=374

Thanks Bon Echo for the links.

I'm still having problems with the site, can't add any new cache drafts, was working on several BM caches. :x
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:23 pm

Manville Possum Hunters wrote:
Bon Echo wrote:Here is that discussion. It's all there, the thread sort of went cold before the site troubles started. But it is in a odd spot (although it does make sense to in some way)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1812

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=374

Thanks Bon Echo for the links.

I'm still having problems with the site, can't add any new cache drafts, was working on several BM caches. :x
Sorry MPH, or MP as you're now apparently known at Big Green. We lost some forum posts, even though I threatened to recover them. I was not aware at the time there were database problems as well as API problems. Namely, Triggers were broken in the database, if you want to get technical. New cache submissions should work fine now, although ones submitted in a one week window from Nov. 21st to Nov. 28th had issues.
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:39 pm

All seems well now, I guess we can delete that broken draft from the 27th now?

I was just checking BM's there in the area while drafting up this new listing and noticed that I had failed to log one, and posted the wrong photos to another. :o
Yes, I was there on vacation. ;)

So no danger of drafts breaking now? Well, I figure that if I publish my BM Virtuals now we can always change the cache type if I want to go that route. 8-)
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:54 pm

I think most of us that have submitted a cache recently have encountered problems creating new listings here on BrokenCaching, is this going to hamper the new BM listings?

Are we still looking at a new cache type by first of the year or what should we expect. This break is taking longer than I would have thought to fix.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Bon Echo
Site Admin

Post by Bon Echo » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:12 pm

I posted to the Indiana Benchmarking and Geocaching group, a FB group that I'm a member of (it's the only benchmark hunting group that I could find on FB, other that the other type of "benchmark hunting")
Anyway, I was hoping to get some suggestions / comments / interest. A few days now and nothing. But it's pretty quite there anyway (like one or two posts per month is typical).

Bon Echo
Site Admin

Post by Bon Echo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:49 am

My Facebook post had no replies (although that FB group has not had a single post in months aside from the one I posted).

in the mean while I just keep finding benchmarks and getting photos and info. Like you I am looking forward to the cache type become a reality, but I also know that after I create the listings they will likely site lonely for months or years. That's not a shot at the site, because the site is not the problem.

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:15 pm

Bon Echo wrote:Like you I am looking forward to the cache type become a reality, but I also know that after I create the listings they will likely site lonely for months or years. That's not a shot at the site, because the site is not the problem.
Quite true, I just got my interest re-sparked in Benchmarking. I would enjoy the 10 drafts that I have been working on, and don't feel so lame for listing vacation virtuals, and still use my vacation pictures. :D

I was hoping others would be as interested as I am. I'll just keep collecting data. ;)
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:59 pm

Well guys, we are all aware that the unexpected has happened, and now it appears as if the new BM cache type will not be anytime soon.
I was really trying to move away from virtuals, but a BM cache is just a virtual cache with a different name. I don't want to risk losing any drafts I have been working on for the new cache type.

Hopefully if one of the admins gets a chance they can accept some of them and I can publish them to the site as virtuals. Maybe it will give others some ideas for Benchmarking.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd