General Information About Geocaching
Bon Echo
Site Admin
Re: New Benchmark cache type

Post by Bon Echo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:54 pm

KnowsOpie wrote:Thought I spotted a Munzee there too. :mrgreen:
I suspect that QR Code takes you to the river data page for that station
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/dc/nwis/uv?site_no=01647600
Hey, would you look at that...it's a Tidal Station. Not found in the NGS DataExplorer but maybe in DSWorld (I will check later tonight).

Oh, KnowsOpie, about your new listing US Benchmark GA0354 ~Lebanon, Virginia
http://opencaching.us/viewcache.php?wp=OU0A37
Consider putting in a report to the NGS about that one, since the last recovery they have on record in from 1963. I;m sure they would appreciate the report and photos. The coordinates are "adjusted" so they won't need those. Yes, even though it has been reported on the frog site, those do not go to NGS - you need to complete a separate form.
And FWIW, on NGS a "GPS" is a survey grade GPS worth$$$ and they set it over a station for at least 4 hours to get coordinates. But they will accept coordinates from handheld GPS units, and those are notes as "handheld"
I think we should get an "agency" code from NGS for report marks, maybe something like "OPENCA" or "OCNA". It's clear to me they are interested in public engagement and geocacher engagement and include links to the groundspeak benchmarking site. Maybe OCNA could be listed there as well?

Anyway, also want to add that I played around a bit with the format for one of my listings, take a look and let me know what you all think
http://www.opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=2651

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:11 pm

Your listings are looking really good, I like the format. Truthfully, I quit thinking about a new cache type, but I'm enjoying listing these new BM Vitruals.
Email here would not work for me yesterday.
I have thought about offering some of my photos of BM's and Virginia Historical Markers on a few sites. Seems I attempted that once, and I can't recall exactly what did not go kosher for me. :oops:

I have a few more to add, most are disk type.

I'm also working on a new idea on how I would visit a virtual or BM cache. I have been using my adventure knife in some photos, last night after a glass of rum I got the idea for a Benchmarking buddy. :D
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Thanks for hanging in there, guys! Back home from hip surgery, and although I could have probably checked here on Tapatalk from the hospital when I was there for 3 nights and 4 days, I didn't freaking feel like it. I'll probably take another week and a half off of work (Jan. 31st, Feb. 1st, around there), so expect to see me more now.
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:51 pm

I hope all goes well with your surgery. Meanwhile I sneeked in another WM while you were gone. http://www.opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=2657

I found that old historic survey stone a few years ago, and I believe it will make a nice addition to OCNA. I'm sure that lot's of geocachers have visited and still visit that location. ;)
I did notice during the MEGA event hosted there in the area, that maybe there were 2-3 more people logging BM's. Not a good average, but it's not about the numbers, just observation.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:29 am

Well at least I didn't approve any Painted Rocks while you were gone. ...

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:58 am

TermiteHunter wrote:Well at least I didn't approve any Painted Rocks while you were gone. ...

Man, those things are cool. :D
It's going to be the next big thing in geocaching, OCNA should offer them as a cache type. ;)
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:18 am

I suppose it would be a valid virtual cache. I did a few "art project" painted horses listed on the unpainted frog so why not.
I imagine too that we are well old enough to have witnessed the "Pet Rock". Never had one of the branded versions. We were too poor or had too much sense.

I do hereby propose that the new cache type "Painted Rock" be added. However this is an eco-friendly site so no paint may be used on indigenous rock formations in the creation of user submitted Painted Rock Caches. All coloration must fully envisioned by the mind of the beerholder and an un-altered photo of the envisioned rock complete with coloration envisioned must be submitted in the log. No STONES, PEBBLES or RIP-RAP may be submitted as a rock. Painted Rocks not listed on the Official Painted Rock Survey website are not to be permitted.

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:23 am

No thanks. It already sounds too much like Waymarking. :D Wait, is that a bad thing? :P
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:52 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:Well at least I didn't approve any Painted Rocks while you were gone. ...

How do YOU know about that? Is it from my Twitter painted rock illusions, or my Reddit painted rock illusions.

Actually, we might consider it here....
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:53 pm

I do the GCGC twitter so I read it there.
I all also follow you on my account but don't keep up with much there.