Opie is now out of the picture

General Information About Geocaching
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Re: Opie is now out of the picture

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:17 pm

If I go to http://www.opencaching.com right now, I get nothing. An invalid URL page. As opposed to a page saying opencaching.com has shut down, and giving a link to Geocaching.com.
ImageImage

Bon Echo
Site Admin

Post by Bon Echo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:44 pm

Mr.Yuck wrote:If I go to http://www.opencaching.com right now, I get nothing. An invalid URL page. As opposed to a page saying opencaching.com has shut down, and giving a link to Geocaching.com.
Hmm, is the URL available to buy? Mixed feelings about that.

Not sure what the relationship is now with garmin and groundspeak but garmin is back to preloading their handhelds with thousands of groundspeak caches and only mentions geocaching.com as the place for geocache listings.

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:32 pm

Bon Echo wrote: Not sure what the relationship is now with garmin and groundspeak but garmin is back to preloading their handhelds with thousands of groundspeak caches and only mentions geocaching.com as the place for geocache listings.

Likely it's that same old stale data from a few years ago. ;) I was looking into a paperless GPS unit, and may have went with a Garmin, but I do prefer my Android and a few good apps.

As for Garmin being out of the geocaching picture, I still think it was just a con to get that data from GroundSpeak, and they really are using that same old obsolete data on their units today. :D
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:38 pm

Bon Echo wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:If I go to http://www.opencaching.com right now, I get nothing. An invalid URL page. As opposed to a page saying opencaching.com has shut down, and giving a link to Geocaching.com.
Hmm, is the URL available to buy? Mixed feelings about that.

Not sure what the relationship is now with garmin and groundspeak but garmin is back to preloading their handhelds with thousands of groundspeak caches and only mentions geocaching.com as the place for geocache listings.
It doesn't expire for a year and a half (Sept. 2018), and it would cost $25 per year with GoDaddy to put a claim in for it. I'll just freaking ask them, I've threatened to, and never did. :o
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:52 pm

It redirected to agarmin page for me with the same old text about opencaching no longer being around but garmin devices support geocaching and geocache on geocaching.com Blah blah blah. Same page i remember from before

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:50 am

TermiteHunter wrote:It redirected to agarmin page for me with the same old text about opencaching no longer being around but garmin devices support geocaching and geocache on geocaching.com Blah blah blah. Same page i remember from before

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
They fixed it. It was "URL not found" for at least 2 days. Maybe they read this forum? :D

On another point, On the "contact us" page at Garmin.com, I see no department listed that would be anywhere near suitable to ask if we can get their domain name from them. And by we I mean on behalf of the entire Opencaching network not necessarily OCNA.

P.S. Wow, thanks for the shout out in the group email regarding the Greater Charlotte Geocaching Club's new home. :lol:
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:44 pm

You should ask Garmin to sponsor us here at OCNA. http://www.garmin.com/en-US/company/sponsorship
I'm sure that they still have plenty of geocaching swag to give away,... which brings to mind that some people just didn't like free Garmin swag at a G$ MEGA event. :lol:

But why not ask them for some support here? We are part of the Geocaching community. ;)
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:19 pm

You should ask Garmin to sponsor us here at OCNA. http://www.garmin.com/en-US/company/sponsorship
I'm sure that they still have plenty of geocaching swag to give away,... which brings to mind that some people just didn't like free Garmin swag at a G$ MEGA event. :lol:

But why not ask them for some support here? We are part of the Geocaching community. ;)
KnowsOpie, AKA Manny, you are not Nutty as a Squirrel Turd, as your signature says. I'm going to do that!!
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:47 pm

I'm sure they will send you something if you ask. ;) I read their blog, which lacks geocaching interest. Maybe you could get an interview or something, let the World know that there is still an active alternative geocaching site. :D
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:51 pm

So, just how far are you from GC39, The Spot?

Maybe we should start a gofundme page and go look for it? We could really blog about our adventure, and Garmin may be interested. :D
Last edited by KnowsOpie on Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd