Record FTF find time for OCNA-only cache?

General Information About Geocaching
Bon Echo
Site Admin
Record FTF find time for OCNA-only cache?

Post by Bon Echo » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:43 pm

So Ontario picked up a new active OCNA cacher last month, in the London area (where former OpenCaching Canada admin CoffeePeddlers is from). He quickly took FTF on a couple lonely OCNA cache hides and also attempted to grab one of my traveling caches which as it turns out is missing (it's also a travel bug and was in a groundspeak cache and that cache is nowhere to be found).

Since I needed to travel through that area on Christmas eve I thought I would drop a replacement moving cache and if the opportunity presented itself I would also hide an traditional cache (I was also planning to start hiding more caches along the 401 corridor since I travel along there frequently enough to maintain those caches). Found a cemetery that looked interesting about 20 minutes from London and decided to stop there along the way. Hid the traditional and moving cache around 11:30 am, and submitted for publication around 3 pm. Accepted in a bit over an hour, with the cache being published around 4:19pm (Thanks TH!). OU0A54

Today I get notification that both caches were found this morning. Not sure what time this morning, but that means less than 20 hours from publication until FTF.
Is that a record for OCNA, or can anyone recall a shorter time until FTF? FWIW, I don't know the other cacher and he was not aware that this cache was going to be hidden. The timing just worked well.

Just curious.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Re: Record FTF find time for OCNA-only cache?

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:42 pm

When I first was able to get a fellow cacher to join me on OCUS, I would often rush out for ftf even though I had no competition. On the rare occasion in the early days of OCUS that another cacher hid anything, I would grab them by the next day.

I did have an alternative to the frog contest that generated new caches and often finds on those new caches within a day.

Now though, if there is a new cache placed nearby, unless I opt to go after it, it may remain dormant for some time. I try to grab then when I have a chance just so they get some action and to encourage the next hide.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:34 am

In 2010 and 2011, I could place an OCNA (then OCUS) only cache, and have several people rush out for it in the Buffalo area. Four or Five finds in the first couple of weeks wasn't uncommon. And one of the long time big time (started caching in 2004, I believe) FTF hounds was one of those people. I wouldn't doubt he FTF'd some within hours. I'll have to see what I can dig up. DG hasn't been around much, but I'll bet sfcchaz has run out for many of DG's new caches, and probably still does.
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:26 pm

Bon Echo wrote:So Ontario picked up a new active OCNA cacher last month, in the London area (where former OpenCaching Canada admin CoffeePeddlers is from). He quickly took FTF on a couple lonely OCNA cache hides and also attempted to grab one of my traveling caches which as it turns out is missing (it's also a travel bug and was in a groundspeak cache and that cache is nowhere to be found).
Roflmao, I see where this new member is tossing out TD's and claiming FTF's. :lol:

Woo-Hoo! :P
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd