Good Nieghbors

General Information About Geocaching
jeffbouldin
Good Nieghbors

Post by jeffbouldin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:34 pm

I posted about this site on our http://www.mtgc.org forums a couple of weeks ago and a local cacher who is a gc.com reviewer expressed concern about disgruntled cachers going to another site and publishing things that could bring a bad name on geocaching in general. The short point to my answer was get involved with us over here and help keep it on the up and up. It got me thinking about the potential issues, especially with parks departments used to working with gc.com. So I called the lady who manages the parks department program in Murfreesboro, TN (they have a permit requirement) and let her know about the site and suggested she sign up for an account and keep an eye on their parks. I let her know that the site policy was to follow all local laws and regulations and that if a cacher knew it was placed illegally we could flag that cache. But we may not know that without talking to her or the owner. So that is why I recommended she get an account. I also offered for her to contact me if she had any concerns or felt she needed some local help. The only other park system in Mid Tn with a permit policy is Metro Nashville. I need to talk to the local cacher who manages it and make sure he saw my post on the local forums.

So it might not be a bad idea for others to reach out to their local parks departments. We do not want to become known as the trouble making site.

Sabrefan7

Re: Good Nieghbors

Post by Sabrefan7 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:51 pm

Great Idea Jeff! I too have posted in 4 New York State forums. Mostly being met with the typical "why do we need another site" why shop at Wall mart when you can afford Sax 5th ave. Only "disgruntled" cachers IE: Frog Haters will go there ect. The gitbuff group, aside from a few seem interested as you have seen by activity on the site. This site will only be a success if the people here work to make it so. We need every ones support and honesty to make it a success. I saw this on the Yahoo message board, I will copy it to here,,,

"But for those who want the freedom and responsibility to
shape our hobby in our own ways, OpenCaching offers great promise."
I cant agree more,,,
Brian, SF7

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:02 pm

Sabrefan7 wrote:"But for those who want the freedom and responsibility to shape our hobby in our own ways, OpenCaching offers great promise."
Oooh, I like that. It's not a regularly used slogan or anything is it? My point being, I'd like to use it here.

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:05 pm

I took the quote from a post on this yahoo group. It would make a nice slogan for OCUS

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/gpsstash/