How did you get started?

General Information About Geocaching
glorkar
How did you get started?

Post by glorkar » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:47 pm

One day at work, one of my coworkers mentioned geocaching. He explained what it was and I checked out the website. He let me borrow one of his GPS receivers and the rest is history. My first find was actually done "naked." It was a nano on a tank :p
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

Mother Wolf

Re: How did you get started?

Post by Mother Wolf » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:17 am

Rookie49 would come to work & tell me about caching & how I should try it. I finally gave in & went & after a couple of times I decided I liked it. The rest is history. Thanks Ed it's been a blast. MW :D

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:44 am

Rookie49 is my uncle and once he discovered caching, he started telling me about it, too. One cache, Pre-Columbian Relic, sounded especially intriguing. I did a few before I got to that one, but I do credit it for capturing my attention enough to start caching.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:19 am

I actually stumbled on references to Geocaching twice while surfing the web, and I remember them both. The first one was sometime in the spring of 2003, I was surfing drive-ins.com (historical information about open and closed drive-in movie theater's), and some guy posted a note to a closed drive-in's page saying he hid something called a Geocache at the site of a closed drive-in. I definitely remember checking out his cache page, which he linked.

Then a few months later, in August of 2003, I saw a link "find Geocaches in this municipality" on the website www.epodunk.com which is a website full of useless statistical information on any municipality in America. So being the 2nd time I stumbled on it in a couple of months, I figured I'd check it out for real. I surfed around the website for about a week checking things out, and joined Geocaching.com 19 August 2003, after I got home from finding my first cache. I think it's funny that I sort of educated myself first, as I used the term "muggle" in my very first cache log. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

jeffbouldin

Post by jeffbouldin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:26 pm

I vaguely remember hearing about Geocaching awhile ago, but then in November of 2007 I was researching benchmarks and Google lead me to Groundspeak's Benchmark site. that led me to the main site. I got my year end bonus, then a used eXplorist 210 and haven't stopped!

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:10 pm

What I didn't mention in my first post was that I first heard about geocahing in early 2002 from the COL in charge of my program office. He'd occassionally mention it, but I didn't really get it. I wasn't until Memorial Day 2006 that my uncle took me and my cousin's family out to the first cache he'd found. I kick myself sometimes for the 4 years I missed.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Geo Duck

Post by Geo Duck » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:17 pm

I stumbled upon an ammo can while doing my thing as a mycologist (hunting mushrooms). Turned out it was a geocache in the woods. I read the stash note and signed up (gc.com) so that I could log the find. That was back in 2003. I don't hunt mushrooms much anymore but I sure do like to geocache.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:05 pm

Welcome aboard, Donald...err...Geo Duck!
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:03 am

Like a lot of folks I found out about caching wile researching hand held GPS on the net. "Looks like fun I think I will try it" ,,, Insert fish hook in mouth,, Im caught :D