Recommendations & Ratings

General Information About Geocaching
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Recommendations & Ratings

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:23 am

Thought I'd try to get some conversation going on the forums.

Do rate each cache you find and do your "spend" the Recommendation points you earn? Are all of your recommendations given to caches that you have rated "Excellent"? Do you use them when seeking caches?

From the Wiki:
Ratings
Scale:

The finder of a cache can rate its quality on a scale from 1 to 5 using the following one of the following adjectives:
  • Poor - In a bad hiding spot, bad container, not well maintained. A waste of time coming here.
  • Mediocre - I've seen worse but this was worth finding so I could up my Found count.
  • Average - Not great and not bad. Just your average cache.
  • Good - Unique hiding place and/or container. Was fun to find. Kudos to the hider!
  • Excellent - Awesome hiding place, awesome container, this cache sets the standard!
Use Report Problem if the cache is missing, in an unsafe location and does not include the Dangerous attribute, has inappropriate contents or needs to be archived!

Tips: Only caches rated at least three times have their average ratings presented in their description pages as well as in the map of the caches. Individual ratings received by a cache are never shown. While the rating system is primarily intended to assist the geocachers in selecting the caches to hunt, hopefully in the long term it will also positively influence the average quality of the caches listed here.

It has to be stressed that for those caches rated only a few times, the presented average rating should be approached with caution. It is believed that the published average ratings will become more meaningful only for ten or more evaluations of a geocache. Therefore, it is expected that the assessment system will reach its expected functionality approximately 1 year after its introduction, and for some caches even later.

Until then, we encourage you to responsibly evaluate the caches you find. Remember that the single value is used to assess all the different aspects of the cache quality. Please try to evaluate the caches objectively and always remember that we assess specific caches, and never their owners.
Recommendations are given to a cache other than your own that you feel is worthy of your endorsement. You earn just 1 recommendation for every 10 Finds thus your recommendation is very valuable and not to be given lightly. Essentially, it is an honor if your cache receives a recommendation. Recommendations are separate from ratings as anyone who finds a cache may rate it. Ratings and recommendations encourage users to place quality caches and to maintain them. This is a major factor in making sure our database contains imaginative, well maintained caches.

To Recommend a Cache:
  • Locate and select the cache you want to recommend.
  • At the top of the cache listing, click the New Log Entry tab.
  • Select the Type of Log you wish to create.
  • If you have an unused Recommendation, you will be given the option to use it here.
  • Rate the cache based on your personal opinion.
  • Enter your comments about the cache.
  • Click the Submit Log Entry button.
Cache Ranking by Recommendations

Cache Ranking by Calculated Indicator

Caches Rated as Excellent (Searched from 64108 - Kansas City)
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Recommendations & Ratings

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:02 am

I try to rate each cache. I don't necessarily give out my Recommendations as soon as I earn them, but will usually save a few up.

Not all my Recommendations are necessarily rated as Excellent.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

zstatman

Post by zstatman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:11 am

I think rating caches adds a lot to understanding what the "cache experience" might be. On the other hand, the rating doesn't necessarily drive my decision to seek out a particular hide since my viewpoint could, and generally does, differ from someone else.

I do believe that it would be valuable to see how the ratings are distributed, a bar chart, e.g., which is very helpful along with the total score.

ZStatman
Montana 650
Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro Phone
"It is all in the search!"
Florida, USA

=========================================
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt (anonymous)

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:26 pm

I always try to rate a cache I do. I did have a problem with my phone using the Opencaching app. I could not rate it on there. I deleted my find and did it again at home on the computer. I was unable to enter the password, so I had to just enter the log from my phone again. Sweeny Street Fishing Pier - OU05A1
http://www.opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=1441