Someone lost a BIT Cache at Mingo??

General Information About Geocaching
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Someone lost a BIT Cache at Mingo??

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:50 pm

You know, the oldest Geocache in the World, in Western Kansas? It's been stolen many times over the past year, someone has it in for this cache. It was brought up in the Groundspeak forums that this "needs maintenance" log was posted on Halloween.
Stop by at 7:10 this evening to place my name on this historic log. So disappointed! It appears that the cache has been taken. We found a laminated OpenCaching.us tag on the ground but that was all. I hope that the person or people maintaining this cache are able to resurrect this one again.
Interesting, eh? There are 6 Munzees in the vicinity of Mingo, and all named after Mingo in some way. You can't zoom in any further on 5 of them, so I'm going to assume they are plastered on the same roadside sign. Which actually isn't allowed in Munzeeland any more. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

chilehead

Re: Someone lost a BIT Cache at Mingo??

Post by chilehead » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:34 am

I saw that too. I thought perhaps somebody that uses this site was leaving their "calling card" to indicate that they were there, because they were unable to sign the cemented cache. I've seen a lot of this in Nashville, where caches were missing, people left their calling card where they thought the cache should have been, then logged a find anyway. No idea if that is the case here, or if the card was a generic opencaching.us card or one with a cacher's name on it.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:38 am

chilehead wrote:I saw that too. I thought perhaps somebody that uses this site was leaving their "calling card" to indicate that they were there, because they were unable to sign the cemented cache. I've seen a lot of this in Nashville, where caches were missing, people left their calling card where they thought the cache should have been, then logged a find anyway. No idea if that is the case here, or if the card was a generic opencaching.us card or one with a cacher's name on it.
True. But BIT caches are generally laminated like Munzees. And when I saw that there are 6 Munzees near Mingo, I thougt that yeah, alternative games would be likely to leave one of their alternative game pieces near Mingo. By the way, of those 6 Munzees at Mingo, one each were deployed by the creators of the E.T. Power trail, and one was deployed by the No. 8 cacher in the world. I never heard of the other three deployers.
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:42 am

Interesting. I hope to be able to get Mingo, some time.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:54 am

UMainah wrote:Another mention of opencaching.us at Mingo

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... c4cd4450df

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Sounds like it's probably the same BITCache still lying around in the area. And I'm 1,000% convinced it is a BITCache, because they refer to themselves as a "gamepiece" on the BIT themselves. I'm half tempted to contact the guy, and ask him to try to log it. It would have a URL, and a codeword. May have never been published, of course. There is certainly no BIT listed at Mingo. As a matter of fact, it looks like Kansas may only have one active OCUS listing in the entire State. :mrgreen:
ImageImage