Munzee

General Information About Geocaching
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Munzee

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:09 am

I've been getting very into Munzees since Christmas. I had only found (captured) 15 before mid-December, but then noticed that local cacher (jfigel) had been placing lots in our general area. I have found 482 since then and at least 1 everyday since December 26 (68 days, so far). I've noticed that a number of the locals who have been active with Munzee have not really done any OCNA (or other alternative caching). I've started placing (deploying) Munzees near some of my OCNA hides, starting with my BITcaches.

I'm hoping that at least some may decide to sign up and log my caches since they've already found them.

I know NativTxn has placed Munzees in many of her caches. Anyone else doing Munzee and using them to try to promote your OCNA caches?
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: Munzee

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:56 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:I've been getting very into Munzees since Christmas. I had only found (captured) 15 before mid-December, but then noticed that local cacher (jfigel) had been placing lots in our general area. I have found 482 since then and at least 1 everyday since December 26 (68 days, so far). I've noticed that a number of the locals who have been active with Munzee have not really done any OCNA (or other alternative caching). I've started placing (deploying) Munzees near some of my OCNA hides, starting with my BITcaches.

I'm hoping that at least some may decide to sign up and log my caches since they've already found them.

I know NativTxn has placed Munzees in many of her caches. Anyone else doing Munzee and using them to try to promote your OCNA caches?
It's an excellent idea, and I've tried it a few times, but it hasn't helped very much, as I'll bet there are only about 10 active Munzee players in my area, and some of those not even all that active. I actually have a Munzee and Bit Cache stapled to a wooden railing within inches of each other. Two finds by OCNA regulars on the BIT, and only once capture on the Munzee. I also have my "mini power trail" of alternating BIT caches and Munzees, but that's been pretty low traffic as well.

That's just my experience though, I think it has potential to seriously promote OCNA. I just need more Munzee players in my area. Oh, P.S. Gof from my area has done it several times too with his OCNA caches, be they BIT's or physical caches.
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:33 pm

Yeah, guess I'll just see how it goes.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:55 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:Yeah, guess I'll just see how it goes.
I see you started the thread in the Munzee forums how you've capped 500. Congrats! Yeah, try putting them in or near all your OCNA hides, and hope for the best. Do you have a handful of players like us? We probably have over 1,000 Munzees locally, but with only about 10 players, because it's so easy to deploy them.

Geez, I hope it doesn't turn out like Waymarking. Tons of listings, but very few visitors. I think that very well could happen. I hope not, of course. :mrgreen:

EDIT: With the occasional out-of-towner coming in on a run, and a few odball names with small numbers whom you never heard of.
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:18 pm

We seem to have a decent number of local Munzeers. So far, I've created a list of 30 "friends" - all area folks. I probably need to recheck area deployments / captures to add more.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Mon May 20, 2013 4:36 pm

I have given it a try and I have to admit the novelty has worn off for me

bifjamod

Post by bifjamod » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:03 pm

I've just begun deploying hybrid Munzee / BIT-caches on the Florida Space Coast. It would be much simpler if they could be spot deployed like Munzee's, but it's still a challenge that I am enjoying. It really gives me a new angle on my Munzee's as well.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Thanks! I came thru your area after GW XI.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image