Is this site for real or is it a joke

About the Opencaching Site
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Re: Is this site for real or is it a joke

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:59 pm

Irishgeosquad wrote:WOW...Thanks for the information. I don't think I would ever have thought to go to the wiki and search "parameters" and then scroll down and find "cache type". Seems harder to find that information than to find some of the caches, lol.

I had tried searching "cache type" on the wiki and got a bunch of pages that honestly I didn't feel like sifting through. I had also found some information looking at your TOS page. I didn't go to "hide a cache" page because I actually wanted information on the types of caches...I was not trying to "hide a cache".

I came here to try OS.us because of these different cache types that I have heard about on various podcasts. Personally, I think your cache variety and potential hider creativity is your strong suit. It might help to advertise this asset prominently on your main page so it does not get missed.
Thanks, IrishGeoSquad, excellent suggestion. I have added a "plug" for the unique cache types on the main page. Now if you asked for Letterbox hybrids to show up as Letterbox Hybrids in GSAK, I would have told you it would be several months. Yes, working on that one. :D

Side note to DG, that's the first time I ever edited that file, and I changed other stuff (not in the Welcome to Opencaching North America section) that appears in that file. But I'll start a thread in the OC team sub-forum.
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:50 pm

Guess you got around to some sort of tapatalk update.

Every topic is now in my new unread category. Even stuff last posting in 2011. Got a lot of reading to do to catch up.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S via Tapatalk

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:54 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:Guess you got around to some sort of tapatalk update.

Every topic is now in my new unread category. Even stuff last posting in 2011. Got a lot of reading to do to catch up.

Yes, what a pain in the arse. :lol: I will post to the announcements later. I still need to know if you can search for us. You know, like find a forum, if you hadn't been here before. I already asked someone else, but I'll ask you as well, I guess.
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:55 pm

And I'll post an answer here for a few searches.

Google

"opencaching forum"
page 1
#1-4 OC dot com (various)
#5 OCus main website
#7 OCus forum

"opencaching"
page 1
#1 OCus main site
#2 OC dot com main site

"geocaching forums"
not in first 5 pages
several forums including GC, OC dot com, state local and international in those pages

"geocaching"
OCus main site top of page 2
OC dot com 3 spaces lower

BING

"opencaching"
page 1
#1 OC dot com
#2 OCus main site

"opencaching forum"
page 1
#1 OC UK forum
#2 OC dot com main site
#3 OCus forum

"geocaching forums"
Not in pages 1-4

"geocaching"
not in pages 1-4
but then neither is OC dot com

I actually ran across the opencaching network forum on both sites.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:43 pm

Thanks! But we actually had a misunderstanding, I meant search for opencaching *IN* tapatalk. :mrgreen:

I can't seem to do crap with Bing and Yahoo, who have combined forces in the search engine business. However, Google has 67% of the search engine market, and Yahoo and Bing evenly split the other 33%, so I guess we're good there.
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:57 am

I was a little confused...

Searching for OpenCaching brings up 4 forums. This forum is 3rd after Poland and the oc network

Searching for Geocaching gives lots of results but not this forum.
There were a few that had OpenCaching in the name

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:02 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:I was a little confused...

Searching for OpenCaching brings up 4 forums. This forum is 3rd after Poland and the oc network

Searching for Geocaching gives lots of results but not this forum.
There were a few that had OpenCaching in the name

Thanks! Yes, I have to see if tapatalk will let me change the text RvRoadTrip put in when he registered us in 2010. It doesn't mention Geocaching at all, from what I'm told.

By the way, page 11 and no. 133 in a Bing or Yahoo search of Geocaching. I've added some more Meta content tags, but I'm at a loss there. That's about where we USED to be on Google.
ImageImage