Trackable tab

About the Opencaching Site
TermiteHunter
Site Admin
Trackable tab

Post by TermiteHunter » Fri May 03, 2013 2:50 pm

Like the new tab on the site

My experience with one of the sites was less than favorable.
Travelertags seems to be totally inactive. There don't appear to be any logs in recent years and was unable to log a new one.
On the good side was that the free tag was easy enough to generate.

I did find another site that looks new and not on the list.
Geotrackable.org
I was able to create several for free quickly. There is even a method to generate a group of them to leave in caches for others to activate. The person generating the geotrackables will still have access to "watch" what happens with these trackables.
I had no success in dropping off the trackable in a cache. Just couldn't figure out exactly how to get the geotrackable into the location.
It appears to be map navigation but I couldn't get it to drop.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: Trackable tab

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri May 03, 2013 5:47 pm

I have 5 travelertags out there, and I do not believe I've had a log since 2006!! one did shock the hell out of me, and end up in Alaska, I believe it was. I'm actually of the opinion you had a much better chance of people figuring out "alternative" trackables back then. Geocaching has grown so large, and there has been the so-called "smartphone revolution". People who were into Geocaching were much more serious about it back then, rather than looking them up on their smartphones, and droping Tftc as a log. :mrgreen:

I will actually drop a disclaimer in parenthesis about travelertags, and the French Geolutins being rather dead websites. And I will check out Geotrackable.org, of course.
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Fri May 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Speaking of the phone revolution uses a qr code to
Register the trackable. Haven't tried it but it may be easier to log entirely from the phone opposed to on the computer

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S via Tapatalk

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri May 03, 2013 10:10 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:Speaking of the phone revolution uses a qr code to
Register the trackable. Haven't tried it but it may be easier to log entirely from the phone opposed to on the computer

Signed up. Page just sat there. No email to the address I signed up with about 2 hours ago. I will investigate this further!
ImageImage

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Fri May 03, 2013 10:27 pm

I don't remember needing am email confirmation but them my memory is not to be trusted.

A quick look through my email I didn't see one but I did see where I scanned one of the codes I created for my personal trackable

UPDATE

I looked more closely and still didn't see any registration email from them (including the deleted folder)
I appear to have access to the site and trackables created
Last edited by TermiteHunter on Sat May 04, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sat May 04, 2013 12:22 am

OK figured out how to drop it.
Use the map to go to the location it was dropped then click the large "drop" bar moving it to this location.
The map now shows it in this location.
There is both a general area and a precise for pick up and drop. Not sure which one I was in at the time but it looks to be the broader area version.

I'll wait and see if anyone picks it up. I should at least get notification that it was scanned.

When I first found the site I created one of the sheets of codes, glued them to cedar disks and left them in my LoggerII cache for others to take.
Only had one visitor since placing them and he didn't take any at the time. Again I should get notification if anyone scans one to activate it.

Also see update above

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat May 04, 2013 11:02 am

TermiteHunter wrote:I don't remember needing am email confirmation but them my memory is not to be trusted.

A quick look through my email I didn't see one but I did see where I scanned one of the codes I created for my personal trackable

UPDATE

I looked more closely and still didn't see any registration email from them (including the deleted folder)
I appear to have access to the site and trackables created
OK, I went back and tried to see if I could log-in. Turns out I figured out I couldn't be Mr.Yuck with a period, and had to be MrYuck.

Not a very advanced sign-up procedure, I received no error messages that I know of that I couldn't be Mr.Yuck with a period. Good thing we have European Developers to write stuff like that into our code. :P So I am in with MrYuck (no period), and I will get around to adding them to the list. Oh, it's U.S. based, and was created in July 2012, since I give that info about some of the other ones.
ImageImage