Hiders; do you have finders not logging online?

About the Opencaching Site
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Hiders; do you have finders not logging online?

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon May 20, 2013 3:50 pm

Found an "OCUS only" cache in Buffalo, N.Y. today posted by GOF, about 9 months ago. There was only one found log posted. When opening up the cache, I found I was actually the 4th finder. And one of those finders was the number one cacher in the State of N.Y. (whom I know personally, I will contact him to see how many OCUS caches he has found, and see if he'd like to log them). Any other finders notice this on maintenance visits? I do have a 2005 placed Navicache only hide (and I believe it's now my only cache still listed on Navicache) that has 11 online Found logs, but has about 5 or 6 more never posted online. Last time I was there, at least, and I admit to not personally visiting that cache since about 2008. :o

Oh, this doesn't apply to "moving caches". I actually was in possession of "The Infiltrator" moving cache by Termite Hunter for a few weeks. And that has tons of logbook entries from being passed around at Geocaching.com events who don't show up online here.
ImageImage

Sabrefan7

Re: Hiders; do you have finders not logging online?

Post by Sabrefan7 » Mon May 20, 2013 4:25 pm

Yes on 3 of mine there have been logs in the book only but in my case none have a name to them. One sticks out in my mind. "this is my first find for this game I think I will like it a lot" but with out a name

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Mon May 20, 2013 8:54 pm

My OCus only caches are usually found only by those that actually log online too.

Our local club recently used 4 moving caches listed on OCus in one of our relay contest, awarding pointts for finding the caches. There were just a couple that failed to log online usually citing difficulty learning the site.

One of my more recent attempts too bring people to OCus features a cache in a popular park that is listed on every site except TerraCaching since they don't permit cross listing. There is a log book for each site. Lots of signatures on many of them but almost all the logs are on GC only. Had a couple on OCus and only one person that logged on all the geocache sites. (5 of them)

There is also a munzee and a couple alternative trackablea

I have had an occasional online log from the incidental finder. One was a mushroom hunter that made a ftf on their first find ever on an OCus cache.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S via Tapatalk

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon May 20, 2013 9:15 pm

From finds, I've spotted some OCNA caches that has more signatures than online logs.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Mon May 20, 2013 10:00 pm

Alternative sites have little to no traction in the Charlotte NC area.

Terracaching: very few remain and those that are here haven't been found in years (except for the 3 I found a while back) Mostly virtuals

Navicache: nearly non-existant. The nearest listing is clearly archived on GC as missing but still listed on NC

GPSgames: They are all taken from the OCus database. No independent cache listings here.

Opencaching.com: There are maybe 1/2 a dozen that are remnants from a cross listed event ( I think he intended to use OCus but got confused by the name since the logs were from OCus) and a few from the "hide 5" promotion they had recently.

Opencaching.us: is the only one that has any action and that is limited to a few that are willing to look at the site mostly dominated by my own caches. They are rarely found accidentally (maybe 3 times ever) We have had cache creation contests where I would list on OCus but they are rarely found. The moving cache relay which got very little action compared with others even one we only on the club site with no listing site used. The "Summer of the Walrus" where we moved The Walrus moving cache around. (That got a little activity but became limited to just a few participants) As a result most of the people that find an OCus cache log online provided they can figure out how, which some can't. The ones that are cross listed with separate logs to introduce the site do get a few signatures on paper that are never logged online but as a general rule an OCus only cache is only found by those that intend to log online.

Munzee: There are a few around here that have begun logging these and adding to the ones available. It is more acceptable to them as something other than geocaching so they don't consider it as much as in competition with GC and are more willing to play.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon May 20, 2013 10:12 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:My OCus only caches are usually found only by those that actually log online too.

Our local club recently used 4 moving caches listed on OCus in one of our relay contest, awarding pointts for finding the caches. There were just a couple that failed to log online usually citing difficulty learning the site.

One of my more recent attempts too bring people to OCus features a cache in a popular park that is listed on every site except TerraCaching since they don't permit cross listing. There is a log book for each site. Lots of signatures on many of them but almost all the logs are on GC only. Had a couple on OCus and only one person that logged on all the geocache sites. (5 of them)

There is also a munzee and a couple alternative trackablea

I have had an occasional online log from the incidental finder. One was a mushroom hunter that made a ftf on their first find ever on an OCus cache.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S via Tapatalk
Well, at least tapatalk still works. I've run into some problems updating that, but that's another thread. :mrgreen:

GOF has a similar cache in my area that is listed on just about every site you can imagine (and has a Munzee in it), and I do believe it has actually been archived on Geocaching.com. I found http://coord.ch/OU01E3 in suburban Dayton, Ohio last summer. That is listed on every site you can imagine (including Terracaching.com, and I don't have a big problem with that). It also contains a Munzee (I did not have an account at the time), and even a Geocheckpoint from http://www.geocheckpointing.com

I'm babbling on, but our website has coordinates for all to see without an account. So does Navicache. I guess we have to expect this. And of course, as you said, some of these people are just stumbling on the caches.

Sorry, looks like we were posting at the same time. Or at least like 12 minutes apart, according to the time stamps.
ImageImage