Social Media volunteer needed

About the Opencaching Site
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Social Media volunteer needed

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:10 am

Recently, we followed a Geocacher on Twitter, they sent a DM thanking for the follow, and asked if we have an Instagram account (inviting us to follow him there). No we don't, but we could use one. I really don't have time for that, I already do the Blog, Twitter, and Pinterest. We have an uploads folder on the server of every photo users have uploaded to the website. It's current size is 8.7 Megabytes, with 903 files (pictures). Most, but not all, are "caching photos". You know, scenery while out caching, people posing with their GPSr's for virts, webcam photos, etc... There are quite a few that wouldn't need to be uploaded. Pictures cache owners have used for puzzles and stuff like that. Whether or not it's a "caching photo" is really quite obvious while you're looking through them.

Anyone interested in creating an account in our name, and uploading these things? They're dated, so once the initial work is done, little "maintenance" is needed, just looking periodically. I suppose we can look into how you're going to access them once we get some responses. There will be responses, right? :mrgreen:
ImageImage

NativTxn
Site Admin

Re: Social Media volunteer needed

Post by NativTxn » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:52 pm

We could create an Instagram account, but another option would be use a hashtag and ask all users to do the same when out on the trail. #opencachingNA or #OCNA or something like that. I could help load pictures, but unfortunately, there is very little OCNA activity around me. There is ONE picture with #OpenCachingNorthAamerica and it's mine. Nothing for #OpenCachingNA (but it would be shorter). There are over 200 with #OCNA, but people may not know what that is and it can be an acronym for several things. What we need is a teenager to blast stuff out there. :)
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: Social Media volunteer needed

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:34 pm

I did see you replied to this NT, but I myself forgot to reply again. Eh, maybe not my greatest idea anyways, those 903 pictures, we have no way of knowing what cache they're from, unless we just happen to know ourselves (and I have stumbled on several locally that I happen to know what cache they are from). So I'll pretty much give up on the instragram account idea for now, although if someone wants to come along and volunteer, I won't say no.
ImageImage