Cool!
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Promoting OpenCaching US

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:25 pm

As good as any place to share. Check out the current Google results for "opencaching.us".

Pretty cool. I think NativTxn needs some sort of special title or something.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:11 pm

Not sure why it's doing that, but I'll take my moment in the sun. :D
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:52 am

I had the opportunity to talk about OpenCaching with xpunkx, this week on the Geocaching Podcast Episode 271.

Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:07 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:I had the opportunity to talk about OpenCaching with xpunkx, this week on the Geocaching Podcast Episode 271.

I was going to say I can't believe DG went on the Podcast on Wednesday, September 26th, but didn't say anything in the forums! But I obviously found it here in the bumping of this old thread. Sounded pretty good, but I listened at work, I'll have to listen again in solitude, I'm sure I missed plenty. Geocaching Podcast is the only one I can subsribe to with WindowsPhone. I can listen to any one I want of course, but it's the only one that gets automatically downloaded without me doing anything.

So inotherwords, if you make the rounds to any more podcasts in the future, don't forget to announce it here. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

ithink314

Post by ithink314 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Bumping this thread...

A google search for "geocaching" doesn't find opencaching.us on the first several pages, unless I'm missing it. Yes, I know it's in google, but why doesn't it rank higher for the obvious search word? Is it just me; does anyone see better results?

At risk of sounding like spam... Is anyone working on improving SEO, using Google webmaster tools or anything?

PS. If starting a new thread would be better, let me know.
Image Image

ithink314

Post by ithink314 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 pm

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:56 pm

ithink314 wrote:Bumping this thread...

A google search for "geocaching" doesn't find opencaching.us on the first several pages, unless I'm missing it. Yes, I know it's in google, but why doesn't it rank higher for the obvious search word? Is it just me; does anyone see better results?

At risk of sounding like spam... Is anyone working on improving SEO, using Google webmaster tools or anything?

Well, after one month, maybe starting another thread would have been better. :mrgreen:

Only the owner of a domain name can use Google Webmaster tools, of course. I suppose it does sort of suck that Garmin's Opencaching comes up 4th in a Google search of the term Geocaching. If it's any consolation, none of the other Opencaching network nodes come up either. I owned a website from about 1998-2003, and I used to put Meta Tags in the HTML. I'm sure that's ancient history though, and they're probably not even used any more. :lol:
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:18 pm

ithink314 wrote:Bumping this thread...

Well, when I first answered your post, I was NOT an Admin at OpencachingNA. The unexpected happened, and now I just happen to be one. :D As of the date of this post, I own Opencaching.ca, and Opencaching.mx, I've been told Opencaching.us may take up to 7 days, although I doubt it will. I will hit Google webmaster tools, and whatever they call it at Bing and Yahoo as well. I've never heard that Yahoo had anything like that, but they must.
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:03 pm

Done! Accounts created at Google Webmaster tools, and Bing Webmaster tools. Yahoo has apparently combined forces with Bing, and no longer has their own "webmaster tools". Our site has been verified (by uploading hidden files for the Googlebot and Bingbot), and a site map has been uploaded at http://www.opencaching.us/sitemap.xml It's just a from a free "generate your website's sitemap" website though, and it needs be be edited by hand and tweaked a little. :mrgreen: Give them both a week at most to crawl the site again, and really generate some stats. Who knows, maybe we can even show up above Garmin in a Google search of Geocaching. I know, wishful thinking.
ImageImage