Promoting OpenCaching US

About the Opencaching Site
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Re: Promoting OpenCaching US

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:40 am

UMainah wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:We've been talking about this in the top secret hidden OCNA team sub-forum, but with Google Webmaster tools and META tags, I've somehow amazingly got us on the first page of Google search results for the word "Geocaching", and usually third behind Big Green and the Wikipedia entry for Geocaching. This is more than I ever could have hoped for, lets hope we stay there! This just happened around May 10th or so, I would say.

With all the increased traffic there (and believe me, sign-ups have skyrocketed), I opened a Google Analytics account. You see how many visitors a day, where they're from (the City), all kinds of statistics. If anyone, and I mean anyone, would like "user" status to look at these stats, let me know. I know I'd have been interested back when I was a regular user and strong supporter of this website. Then again, I've always been a statistics geek since I was a child. :mrgreen: Oh, you must have a Google account. If you have a gmail.com email address, you're good.

I have not seen where RVRoadTrip or Coffee Peddlers ever had any kind of stats analysis or hidden counters on the website. I'm surprised it isn't one of the first things I did. But the offer is out there, let me know if interested.

EDIT: P.S. a few days in, it looks like they update the numbers every 24 hours, and it seems to be settling into about Midnight EST in our case. There is also a "live" setting, where you see how many people are currently on the site, and the State they are from.
Well since you're offering, feel free to grant me access. I enjoy looking at stats and I'm already familiar with Google Analytics. I think you already know my gmail address.
He-he. Just saw this. Hey, it was less than a month! I'm guilty of juggling about 50 things at once here, I need to get seriously organized. I also have manual tapatalk installation instructions, that's one of the things I need to get going on. As far as the analytics, yes, I have that Gmail address, and I'm sure they send out an email telling you that you have access.
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:33 pm

Update here, we seem to have slipped to 7th or 8th, and consistently on the 2nd page of results. Traffic is actually down a little since this happened, according to Google Analytics. But top 10 isn't bad, and I never even expected that much even. I guess we'll try to get back on page one. I noticed we were never added to the Open Directory Project, so I added us there. That could very possibly help. That was kind of weird, EVERYONE was on there, Garmin, even Navicache and Gpsgames.org, but we were just never added.
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:50 pm

That's funny, I typed that from home, and when I went to work on Monday (20 miles away) we're still 3rd. I get 7th or 8th and the 2nd page at home. Feel free to try yourself, and report back here. If you have any kind of Google account though, log out first. search for the word Geocaching of course, for any who haven't read the other posts.
ImageImage