Ratings & Recommendations

About the Opencaching Site
DudleyGrunt
Site Admin
Ratings & Recommendations

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:57 pm

I just read the wiki page for Cache Ratings.

Is there one for the Recommendation option? I saw that once I got to 10 caches, I could "recommend" caches. I first created this thread to ask about the difference, particularly between rating a cache as Excellent. After doing some more checking, it looks like I now need to reach 20 finds before recommending another cache. Is that correct?

If so, it would seem to to partly answer my question. A Recommendation would seem to be beyond or on top of even an Excellent rating.

Thoughts?
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Re: Ratings & Recommendations

Post by RVRoadTrip » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:40 am

10 finds are needed before you can recommend a cache but you can rate a cache right away. I don't think you need to 10 more to make another recommendation but I will check on it. There is no Wiki page for "Recommending a Cache" at this time, I'm not sure there is a better way to say "Would you recommend this cache or not?". The Wiki page for "Rating a Cache" shows the differences in the ratings with terms most people can understand.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:01 am

Well, I might well recommend most of the caches I've done on here to others, but IF I can only recommend one out of ten, then it might be worth a bit of a write up. Even just a note that lets people know this is something you can do after 10 finds, might be worthwhile.

I tried to recommend another cache after I did the NRA Museum virt and it told me I needed to find den caches. I just double checked and if I try to edit an old log or write a new one, on a cache I've previously found or a new one, I do not have the option to recommend it.

I get the following message on the "new log" page:
You must find the following number of caches to be able to set recommendations: 10 Founds.
Alternative you can remove recommendationsHere .
NOTE: There is no space before "Here". That, at least, is something that should be able to be quickly corrected.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:09 am

It will not let you recommend your own caches. :)

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:23 am

dudleygrunt wrote:Well, I might well recommend most of the caches I've done on here to others
I did mean caches I've found on OCUS. :D
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:11 pm

Recommendations are very valuable and not to be given lightly. You earn one recommendation for every 10 Finds you have. So essentially, it is an honor if your cache receives a recommendation. Recommendations are separate from ratings as everyone who finds a cache may rate it. Ratings encourage users to place quality caches and to maintain them. This is a major step in making sure our database lists imaginative, well maintained caches.

http://wiki.opencaching.us/index.php/Recommendations

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Given that you only have one Recommendation to give out per 10 caches found, it helps clarify when and how to use them. I have transferred the one I gave to the NRA Museum to Fort McHenry, since the former already had one.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

ijeep

Post by ijeep » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:31 am

Jerry,
The page you added looked good; I made only a minor edit. When you link to topics within the wiki you do not need to use the full URL for the topic. That makes the wiki treat it as an external link and adds a little symbol to the end to let the user know they are leaving the wiki (which in this case they are not). Also use double brackets [[ ]] for internal links.

So instead of:
[http://wiki.opencaching.us/index.php/Cache_rating ratings]

Use:
[[Cache_ratings | ratings]]

No big deal, just some friendly "FYI".
Bill, OC US Moderator, Division 6
Always waypoint the Jeep!

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:30 pm

ijeep wrote:Jerry,
The page you added looked good; I made only a minor edit. When you link to topics within the wiki you do not need to use the full URL for the topic. That makes the wiki treat it as an external link and adds a little symbol to the end to let the user know they are leaving the wiki (which in this case they are not). Also use double brackets [[ ]] for internal links.

So instead of:
[http://wiki.opencaching.us/index.php/Cache_rating ratings]

Use:
[[Cache_ratings | ratings]]

No big deal, just some friendly "FYI".
Thank you, Wikiman. :)