Site suggestion - Who visited?

About the Opencaching Site
TermiteHunter
Site Admin
Site suggestion - Who visited?

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:58 pm

One of the PMO (premium member only) functions on GC is the ability to see who visited a cache page.
While this is only part of a cache that was also assigned as a PMO cache (visible only to paying members) by a PM it is kind of cool and occasionally useful.
I see a lot of visits to my own caches and it might be interesting to see exactly who is looking but not integral to the game.

I thought this might be a great function while exploring one of my own caches that was placed with the intent of protecting a desired location of an OCNA cache from the incursion of GC caches in the same spot. http://coord.info/GC5MKY8 and the protected http://www.opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=1842

It would be beneficial to both myself and the owner of the protected cache to see who clicked the link to the cache and / or eventually logged it.
I know this would not work for those that are not yet members but still....

Non members might be listed as a visit from "unknown" or "non-member" or their IP address while members could be listed by user name.

My guess is that this is above MrYucks expertise but as a long term desire for the site it might be a good addition to the "all the perks of a paid membership on the other site" mantra

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Re: Site suggestion - Who visited?

Post by Mr.Yuck » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:41 am

TermiteHunter wrote:One of the PMO (premium member only) functions on GC is the ability to see who visited a cache page.
While this is only part of a cache that was also assigned as a PMO cache (visible only to paying members) by a PM it is kind of cool and occasionally useful.
I see a lot of visits to my own caches and it might be interesting to see exactly who is looking but not integral to the game.

I thought this might be a great function while exploring one of my own caches that was placed with the intent of protecting a desired location of an OCNA cache from the incursion of GC caches in the same spot. http://coord.info/GC5MKY8 and the protected http://www.opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=1842

It would be beneficial to both myself and the owner of the protected cache to see who clicked the link to the cache and / or eventually logged it.
I know this would not work for those that are not yet members but still....

Non members might be listed as a visit from "unknown" or "non-member" or their IP address while members could be listed by user name.

My guess is that this is above MrYucks expertise but as a long term desire for the site it might be a good addition to the "all the perks of a paid membership on the other site" mantra
This indeed could be done. You may have noticed the "active users over the last 10 minutes" at the bottom of the basic frame around any page on the site. Same concept. There is a cache_visits table in the database. Everything is there to put this in place; the cache ID, the user ID, and the date and time of last visit. If the viewer is a member, it shows the member ID; if they are not, it shows an ip address. Through the magic of php, member ID can be converted to Username. I'm sure that's how it works for active users at the bottom of the frame. All we need is a volunteer programmer. Know anyone? :D

P.S. A quick glance at some of the pages in the table shows the vast majority of cache page visitors are non members. But I pretty much figured that.
ImageImage

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:20 am

One of the ways around the visit log is by using a smart phone app to view the cache. All of my listings on GS are PMO. 8-)
I seldom ever view the visit log, but I do like the feature here that shows how many visits the cache page has had. It kinda gives me insight as to how active this site is. :D
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:09 pm

Yeh. I am always cheering the active users at the bottom of the page. The visits count grows very fast initially which I find a bit odd. Often half of the member population count is surpassed in a matter of days. I know this includes revisits but still there is a lot of looking going on. I for one rarely check out new caches that are not in my area. Why so many non members or is it just that they don't log in when visiting?

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:26 am

TermiteHunter wrote:Yeh. I am always cheering the active users at the bottom of the page. The visits count grows very fast initially which I find a bit odd. Often half of the member population count is surpassed in a matter of days. I know this includes revisits but still there is a lot of looking going on. I for one rarely check out new caches that are not in my area. Why so many non members or is it just that they don't log in when visiting?
The standard view in Google Analytics is the last 30 days. You can go back further, but when you log in, all the stats for the last 30 days are there in front of you. Over 4,300 visits in the last month, and you can see 77.9% of them are new users. Generally you'll see visitors from all 50 States every month, although we've missed Wyoming, in the last 30 days. California, the most populous State, is ALWAYS in the top 5, despite there being next to no OC community there. I can add you to be able to view our Google analytics stats. There's an open offer, and I think only 3 people ever took me up on it.

Members: Once upon a time, we had a page one ranking for a Google search of "Geocaching", but it only lasted about a year, and I think Google was confusing us with opencaching.com, to be honest. We had over 100 new sign-ups a week back then. The last week, over 30 people joined, and rarely do we go a day without at least one new member. You can see this yourself here in the forums under "members" in the upper right hand corner. Several of the the "latest pages" are blank, due to spammer accounts being deleted. For example, if you look today, it says there are 485 pages, but you won't see any members until back at page 481.
lastmonth.jpg
lastmonth.jpg (23.55KiB)Viewed 11490 times
ImageImage

R of JARS

Post by R of JARS » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:11 pm

I don't know. Of all the PMO features the audit log is my least favourite. And I have a few PMO cache hides. I don't look at the audit logs because I feel it's a bit of an invasion of privacy.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:22 pm

I found it to be just more than useless but then as a proponate of free for everyone I didn't have pmo caches but since OCNA is so little used we ask pretty much know who the OCNA cachers are anyway. It's just that the number of views far exceeds what my local cachers would do so I thought it would be nice to see who else in the OCNA world view or caches beyond the locals. That and in the particular case I was talking about, if my GC link was actually generating visits to the cache and site.