No more opencaching.com

About the Opencaching Site
Bon Echo
Site Admin
Re: No more opencaching.com

Post by Bon Echo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:41 pm

Shutting down the brokencaching site might just be the best move Garmin has made in a while. Think about how much web traffic that probably generated as everyone just had to see what has happened to the site nobody was using. They should have put up a discount code for 10% off an new Oregon 650, probably could have sold a bunch of them.Yes, i think your right that the wording on the page was changed. I remember it being simpler and just referencing the groundspeak site, but did elaborate as much as it does now.

I also noticed that the new GPSAMP64 comes with "250,000 preloaded caches for paperless caching from Geocaching.com". Anyone recall that the Montana650 series were shipped with OX caches (opencaching.com listings)? I recall for sure, I probably still have emails from Garmin/OC.Com about the contest to win a Montana 650. Now, the Montana 650 page at Garmin states: "Montana 650 supports geocaching GPX files for downloading geocaches and details straight to your unit. Visit Geocaching.com to start your geocaching adventure. By going paperless, you're not only helping the environment but also improving efficiency. Montana 650 stores and displays key information, including location, terrain, difficulty, hints and descriptions, which means no more manually entering coordinates and paper print outs! Simply upload the GPX file to your unit and start hunting for caches." https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the- ... 75227.html

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:21 pm

Yeah, I don't think the original write up specifically referenced Groundspeak.

I REALLY hope they decide there is no use in renewing the opencaching.com domain when it expires next September.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:07 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:Yeah, I don't think the original write up specifically referenced Groundspeak.

I REALLY hope they decide there is no use in renewing the opencaching.com domain when it expires next September.
I am going to write them and ask for it, I just haven't yet. If they tell me no (which I expect them too), and they don't renew it next September, I'm told it's not as easy as "it expires, then you can buy it the next day". :D
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:31 pm

Yeah, I do believe that they'd have a certain amount of time to still renew it.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:32 pm

I am personally responsible for getting the Opencaching.com free pathtag backs featuring Opie the squirrel removed from the pathtags website. You're welcome. Actually, I was just kidding with Mike from Pathtags while we were putting the finishing touches on our pathtag back, and he said (paraphrasing) "the site is defunct, no sense in having them". ;)
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:59 pm

Woop!
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:55 pm

Mr.Yuck wrote:I am personally responsible for getting the Opencaching.com free pathtag backs featuring Opie the squirrel removed from the pathtags website. You're welcome. Actually, I was just kidding with Mike from Pathtags while we were putting the finishing touches on our pathtag back, and he said (paraphrasing) "the site is defunct, no sense in having them". ;)
Opie is NOT a squirrel. :lol:

http://www.opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=2135
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd