Benchmark cache type

About the Opencaching Site
KnowsOpie
Re: Benchmark cache type

Post by KnowsOpie » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:12 pm

I'm in agreement with you Bon Echo. I have no desire to be anything other than a player here. It would be great if there were other OCNA players, but I don't think it will ever happen.
Even Garmin's site did not go over locally, and there is only one other Waymarker that may not be active anymore.

As for Benchmarking, this has sparked my interest and I have been out looking for a few that have not been recovered in 60 years or more. I don't have that many BM's to list, but it's not my intent to set the world on fire, but truthfully I wanted something different that I can't get on another listing service. I did manage to come up with a few logging codes, and thought that was a neat idea.

I have been listing some historical markers here as virtuals and traditionals. I'm not an average Waymarker, I don't play it as a grid filling game, it's more about historical things, BM's, old cemeterys and headstones, that sort of thing.

Waymarkers can't seem to get along, and when you have one self appointed leader that actually believes the site depends on them so they can bully the rest of us and we have to do as they say or they will contact their friends at HQ and they will remove you,... damned guy just ain't funny anymoyre. :x

So this brings us back to your old thread of let's not turn OCNA into Waymarking. ;) No, let's make it better without lame junk. Or would a pay phone with the number as the logging code make a great addition to OCNA? :lol:
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Bon Echo
Site Admin

Post by Bon Echo » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:51 pm

Manville Possum Hunters wrote: As for Benchmarking, this has sparked my interest and I have been out looking for a few that have not been recovered in 60 years or more. I don't have that many BM's to list, but it's not my intent to set the world on fire, but truthfully I wanted something different that I can't get on another listing service. I did manage to come up with a few logging codes, and thought that was a neat idea.
I would think there would be some very cool benchmarks in your area - along mountain ridges and highpoints and in forests. Around here they are mostly on "institutional" buildings (post offices, police stations, schools and churches), or on bridges and culverts. I like it when I find them along the lakes. And the older the benchmark, the more interesting it is to find.

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:28 am

Yes, they are several interesting ones in remote areas. I have been finding a few in the highest point in Kentucky recently. There is an ATV trail along the Black Mountain Ridge that I enjoy riding. It's just a wilderness through strip mining sites and timber clear cuts in bear country. I am thinking of placing some lonely geocaches up there in a few weeks after the rifle season for deer ends. Winter is the best time for geocaching because of the snakes. ;)
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd

Bon Echo
Site Admin

Post by Bon Echo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:17 pm

so when the site started to act up and I heard some recent activity might be lost I went and copied my "latest entries" in case they were lost. It's really nothing important but since I have it saved I might as well restore it. I remember there being a few more MPH comments and wish I copied those as well - sorry I didn't.

Postby Bon Echo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:55 am
I think if there is the possibility for a strong logging password, the option should be made available. For some it will work, but it all depends on what is nearby (and what is online). For others, finding a suitable log password is not going to work, so the photo requirement. Logging password should be encouraged over photo, but there should always be some type of proof-of-visit requirement one way or the other.

And the annual OCNA convention should be held in a red telephone box. Here's one in VA that might just work:
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMBRWB_Pantry_Pause

KnowsOpie

Post by KnowsOpie » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:35 pm

Mr.Yuck wrote:This is coming!! Hopefully before the 1st of the year, we hope to have them fully implemented.
Any updates? ;)
Nutty as a Squirrel Turd