unable to use the site

About the Opencaching Site
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Re: unable to use the site

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu May 11, 2017 9:42 pm

ithink314 wrote:2 browsers - ghostery, Firefox Aurora, on Android phone

If I clear history (cookies), then site displays ok, but not logged in. If I login, then site displays blank or just /.

Fortunately, c:geo seems to work ok for displays, but haven't tried a log today.
Thanks very much for the report, ithink, it may be helpful to our helper.
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu May 11, 2017 9:44 pm

Bon Echo wrote:At work and at home, using Firefox (53.0 at work, not sure what version at home) and Win7-OS, I get the same issues when I use a shortcut for OCNA. Blank screen with a "/"
In the address bar is just states "opencaching.us/" - no http or www . The shortcuts are "http://opencaching.us/"

If I manually type http://opencaching.us/ I get the blank screen and "opencaching.us" in the address bar

If I manually type http://www.opencaching.us I get the normal site (although my computer at home was warning me about it not being a secure connection). And I;m logged in when it comes up and all seems fine (my caches, stats, etc)

Now with Windows Explorer 11, the site loads no matter if I use http://opencaching.us or http://www.opencaching.us (the latter redirects to http://www.opencaching.us/). But I cannot log in - if I enter the wrong password I get the normal error message, but if I enter the correct password the page just reloads, without logging me in.
Wow, this is total opposite of my experience. With the "www", I have issues, but without it, I'm fine every time. I have had the login issues, but only with "www" in the URL. Then I roll with opencaching.us, and I'm fine.
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu May 11, 2017 9:48 pm

A general update, we have opened a ticket with our webhosting company, kickassd.com, and they say they have made no major infrastructure updates in the past week (which wasn't the case went the site went haywire last November). They gave us several comments and things to look into though, and we have a helper from Opencaching.ro who is all over this thing. But as I type this this, it's like 3 AM his time, and he's looking into it in much more detail tomorrow.
ImageImage

Bon Echo
Site Admin

Post by Bon Echo » Thu May 11, 2017 9:51 pm

Now it's working for me no matter what browser or what I address I type. From home, using Chrome or Firefox on Windows7.

If anyone is still having issues please report it here.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu May 11, 2017 9:53 pm

Seems to be working ai rhe moment
and I saw 3 of the 5 on the site are from the GCGC. Excellent, probably to see if any caches fit for our curent Relay.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri May 12, 2017 9:14 am

Bon Echo wrote:Now it's working for me no matter what browser or what I address I type. From home, using Chrome or Firefox on Windows7.

If anyone is still having issues please report it here.
I was going to say that too, from about early evening Thursday, May 11th. But I didn't want to be the first one to say it, and pronounce it fixed.

I did get an email from Kickassd (the web hosts) that they were poking around Thursday night, and did find where quite a few legitimate "get" requests were being blocked, and especially applying to graphics, and fixed it. That would explain me seeing the stat banners being broke at least half the time the past week, at least.
ImageImage

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri May 12, 2017 1:04 pm

1:00 PM Eastern Time on Friday, May 12th, and multiple reports are flowing in that *everything* is fixed. Keep them fingers crossed. If it was indeed what kickassd fixed, it was, in technical terms, a "mod security rule that was blocking some legitimate get requests". There were no updates on their end, crap just randomly broke one day last week. And believe me, in a little over 4 years now, that's not the first time!
ImageImage

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Fri May 12, 2017 3:50 pm

Mr.Yuck wrote:1:00 PM Eastern Time on Friday, May 12th, and multiple reports are flowing in that *everything* is fixed. Keep them fingers crossed. If it was indeed what kickassd fixed, it was, in technical terms, a "mod security rule that was blocking some legitimate get requests". There were no updates on their end, crap just randomly broke one day last week. And believe me, in a little over 4 years now, that's not the first time!

Not so technical, a hammer was used.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Fri May 12, 2017 8:55 pm

Chuck wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:1:00 PM Eastern Time on Friday, May 12th, and multiple reports are flowing in that *everything* is fixed. Keep them fingers crossed. If it was indeed what kickassd fixed, it was, in technical terms, a "mod security rule that was blocking some legitimate get requests". There were no updates on their end, crap just randomly broke one day last week. And believe me, in a little over 4 years now, that's not the first time!

Chuck from Kickassd, Inc. in the house! They offer Lightning fast cloud hosting, at a very affordable price. Prices which would be even more affordable, were they charged in Canadian Dollars. :shock:
ImageImage

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Sat May 13, 2017 8:24 am

Mr.Yuck wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Chuck from Kickassd, Inc. in the house! They offer Lightning fast cloud hosting, at a very affordable price. Prices which would be even more affordable, were they charged in Canadian Dollars. :shock:
hehe we would love to be able to offer prices in CDN, being CDN after all. Unfortunately the fact we have gone international it just doesn't work out well for the accounting guy/s, and they can make your life tough if they want to!