Can't Log Moving Caches More than Once

About the Opencaching Site
Vertigo
Re: Can't Log Moving Caches More than Once

Post by Vertigo » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:33 pm

I just think it's silly to bring up this whole "numbers" thing. Just because someone else thinks that it can be "abused" to increase someone's "numbers" is absurd. I could care less what anyone else's "numbers" are, I only care about mine and I would prefer to have an accurate count of how many times I've found something.

We aren't playing this for money, if someone wants to get all bent out of shape about what someone else is doing with their "numbers" then that that's just crazy.

Trust me, if someone wants to inflate their numbers to make themselves feel special, they will do it, and there are much less conspicuous ways to do it than logging the same cache over and over again. I just think that if they do this anyhow, the only person they are cheating is themselves.

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:36 pm

:grabs a couple of cold beers and hands one to Vertigo:
I'm not saying I'm against the idea. I was just giving an argument, you know, devil's advocate and all. I personally don't care about numbers, I care about the experiences. And you are absolutely right that each time a moving cache, well, moves, it is an entirely different hide. True, you may have hid it first, but where it ends up after that is anybody's guess. If had had to pick a side, I would lean towards allowing multiple finds. If an abuse situation arises, the cache owner can delete the bonus logs. Or in the case the the owner is the abuser, the caching community at large can report an issue and have it taken care of. I do feel that those particular circumstances will occur, but I also feel that they will be few and far between.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:21 pm

In the end it's not that big of a deal, I just disagree.

I'm not sure how it will affect me or if it will at all, but I probably will not find a moving cache more than once now, and I'm not sure that's what the goal is here.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:31 pm

Wow, this turned into a quite a hot topic, while I was out in the woods. Looking forward to Jerry's decision.

Just a thought, perhaps a tad off topic, but I have a suggestion for Moving Caches taken from the DoCART cache on GC.com. Using a Log Password will allow the cache to be "reset" if it goes missing. The owner could simply put out a new version wherever is convenient and update the LP and officially retire the lost one and prevent it from being logged if someone comes across it. Also, it prevent false logs and people searching from it somewhere it's not. Just some thoughts.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:41 pm

Just a thought, How difficult would it be to add another class of find that could be used with the Moving caches? It could be derived from the type of log to be entered drop down, A number of caches moved statistic. Perhaps it could be counted in the find total but then broken down on the individuals profile.

Not permitting additional "finds" on a moving cache provides no additional incentive to continue locating the cache. I have asked that my cache remain within the County of origin. If each currently registered OC user moved the cache once, the potential that it could remain inactive for long periods of time greatly increases after 8-10 moves. There are those that seek also the reward of a "find" and would be less likely to continue moving the cache if it is not provided. Sure more members will come onboard but after finding it once they may be done.

We at the local Greater Charlotte Geocaching Club have experimented with our own version of moving caches. We called them relays. At first they were moved around quickly, sometimes 3- 4 times in a day but now they are left to rot after a short life of 6 moves or so. The additional incentive of the find count addition may provide the boost needed to keep the OC moving caches alive and active. Without it I fear they will suffer a similar fate.

Actually while your at it I would like a few other things sub-divided. # traditional finds, # virtual finds, # caches moved, # DNFed, # events attended

Cachegeek

Post by Cachegeek » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:59 pm

You could also let the cache owner decide whether to allow multiple find to a travel cache. Add a drop down for multiple or single logs from a finder.
ImageImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:16 pm

TermiteHunter wrote:Just a thought, How difficult would it be to add another class of find that could be used with the Moving caches? It could be derived from the type of log to be entered drop down, A number of caches moved statistic. Perhaps it could be counted in the find total but then broken down on the individuals profile.
DudleyGrunt likes this.

Oh, wait a minute, this isn't Facebook. Still, this is a good idea. Jerry - what do you think of this and is it feasible?
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:10 pm

Flesh out the details so I can look into it.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:51 am

I am not familier with the specific coding necessary or how it is already set up. I quit programming when home computers had a massive 256k of memory so I am a little dated.

Maybe replace the "found it" choice on moving caches with "Moved it" so that only a single entry needs to be made. If the finder could also be prompted to enter new coordinates in the log form for moving caches it would be beneficial. This would also eliminate the need to log twice (a found it and a moved it log) and encourage them to complete the entire find with the move of the cache quickly. They could of course enter a note to let everyone know they had found it if they had a delay in the moving of the cache. Their "moved it" log would then add to their find count.

If a cacher has found only the one moving cache but had moved it 3 times their find count would be 3 but only counted as having found a single unique cache based on the cache ID. In much the same way that cachestats or GSAK keeps track of finds. They would have found a total of 3 caches , with 1 find of unique caches. The pie chart of find types that is currently in use would display it in the same way. (it may already do most of this to some degree)

Number of caches found/moved - 3
Number of unique caches found - 1

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:13 am

That sounds good to me.

Not sure the feasibility, but maybe Moved It logs could have a field to enter the new coordinates that would need to be filled out in order to submit the log.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image