Can't Log Moving Caches More than Once

About the Opencaching Site
Vertigo
Can't Log Moving Caches More than Once

Post by Vertigo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:59 pm

It appears that you can only log a find on Moving caches once.

This works against the Moving cache, you should be able to find it multiple times as the cache will move to new locations.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Can't Log Moving Caches More than Once

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:53 pm

Agree. I like the general idea of preventing multiple Find logs on a cache, but would think that a Moving Cache should be an exception.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Cachegeek

Post by Cachegeek » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:41 pm

I Would think this will also allow the owner to find his own cache?
ImageImageImage

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:44 pm

It should...

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:32 am

But it could be abused by the "all about the numbers" type of cachers. Perhaps a time restriction between finds? Not sure how that could be implemented though.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

GOF

Post by GOF » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:37 am

If you are not woried about the find count you can always just log subsequent finds as notes to the cache page.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:49 am

In the DC area, we have a Moving Cache on GC.com that needs to stay within 30 miles of the Washington Monument. The owner requires that once you find it, you allow two people to find it before you can find (or move) it again. I've found it 5 times over the last 3 years or so. I log it as a find since that is what I'm doing, not because I want the additional numbers.

If the cache was not so limited in where it could do, the chances of being able to log it would be less and logging an addtional find if you did come across it again might be more "defensible".

DoC.A.R?T Moving Cache
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Cachegeek

Post by Cachegeek » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:38 am

DudleyGrunt wrote:In the DC area, we have a Moving Cache on GC.com that needs to stay within 30 miles of the Washington Monument. The owner requires that once you find it, you allow two people to find it before you can find (or move) it again. I've found it 5 times over the last 3 years or so. I log it as a find since that is what I'm doing, not because I want the additional numbers.

If the cache was not so limited in where it could do, the chances of being able to log it would be less and logging an addtional find if you did come across it again might be more "defensible".

DoC.A.R?T Moving Cache
I certainly do not want to debate GC guidelines here but I am asking these questions since I am going to place a Travel Cache this weekend and I am getting ideas and looking at all the angles. So with that said, is it not considered ALR to say 2 must find it before you can log it again. I agree this was not the case when the cache was placed but since the ALR guideline is this still something to follow. I personally LIKE the idea of the "2 person find".

I am also aware as this site is fairly new there are not that many guidelines short of the common sense guidelines. So a question I have is you as a cacher follow GC guidelines in placing and finding OC caches or will you set some ALR's and do as you wish? Myself I will be following some of the guidelines but I will also be adding some ALR's and placing some of those caches I have always wanted to place (I.E. Travel Cache, MP3 cache, etc)
ImageImageImage

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:50 am

I'll admit that I came into the game after ALRs were banned on the other site. Looking at the few caches that still reference them, I think it actually added a little something (as long as the requirement wasn't something outrageously difficult to attain.) For instance, there is one cacher in my area that hid a bunch of cemetery caches with the ALR to find an example of a particular marker. Without that added step, all of his hides are just bison tubes in cedar trees.
So I say as long as the additional logging requirement is something reasonable, go for it!
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:13 pm

One easy solution would be to only allow another find until after the cache is logged as moved. Once that occurs just reset whatever is locking out previous finders from logging another find. Pretty simple if you ask me.