Feeling on Wherigo caches?

About the Opencaching Site
shaggy
Re: Feeling on Wherigo caches?

Post by shaggy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:30 pm

I'm sorry to hear the feelings wrt Wherigo on this site. I've listed one cartridge on another caching site (not gc.com) and have a couple more ready but haven't listed them due to a lack of interest. There just isn't enough interest on the other site to bother listing new caches, wherigo or regular. I used the urwigo builder and played the cartridge myself on my Droid using whereYouGo player. One other used a Garmin to play it after some back and forth to fix a couple Garmin specific problems and seemed to enjoy it.

I admit creating new cartridges is tough. The coding is easy enough but the creativity/story/graphics is the hard part for me. But it doesn't sound like it will be encouraged here anyway. Too bad. I might like to list one now and then.

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:09 am

Its not that I dont like the wereigo it just wont work for me or a large number of folks :(

sandvika

Post by sandvika » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:23 am

I choked on Groundspeak's Ts and Cs of Wherigo for some time (in particular their claim on my intellectual property, including right to sell it) but eventually created one sophisticated cache with a challenging plot. I had to cut it down because of poor performance on PDAs and GPSrs, then it was found a few times in the first few months - now unfound in over 2 years despite my regular maintenance trips to show it's still viable. Aside from the questionable right to list a Wherigo on non-Groundspeak site (I don't fancy re-reading the Ts and Cs to figure it out) I'd say it's a dead duck.

There are plenty of other software systems for mobile devices to exploit their built-in GPSrs. Location-based advertising will be coming to your smartphone soon.... Surely there's got to be a better way than Wherigo to realise the same type of cache? Maybe even an open source solution?

n7viv and DB

Post by n7viv and DB » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:45 am

RVRoadTrip wrote:The term "Whereigo"is copyrighted by Groundspeak. Although some have an interest in the game, it is basically a failed project and I have no desire to get involved with it.
Gosh maybe I'm missing something here. I don't understand the "basically a failed project".

You can still create new Wherigo caches and upload them. One of our local cachers has two up and operating here. And he and I are collaborating on several new ones.

My wife and I were introduced to our 1st Wherigo cache at the Mega Cache at Carnation Washington on July 3rd, 2010. We met the guru's that actually wrote the cartridge for the cache located in downtown Carnation, WA. They explained a lot about how all of this works. So the wife and I decided we should try it out since we have a Oregon 550T. We had a blast. We couldn't wait to get home and solve the two in our city. Since then I have been working with the cacher that built the two in our town on some more for our area.

These are way to much fun to just let the concept die and go away. You can still build them and get them approved. Please don't give up on something so fun!!!! :mrgreen:

jshults

Post by jshults » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:32 pm

There population is low and the DEVICES are flakey.
I just started using the "whereyougo" on my Galaxy and it's WAY more stable that my MS Pocket PC.
My friends and I usually do WIG's as a group with the hope that at least one person's device will finish the cartridge without having to restart.
I've done only a couple simple Carts on the Droid but so far so good. I think I've found ALL 6 within 100 miles of me. I'm waiting for more.

Please DO add them here and we'll hope more people start making them.

kitkatt1960

Post by kitkatt1960 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:45 pm

Hello folks.. as a "wherigo" cache is copywritten, and so many of the "smart" phones now have apps that are becoming available, maybe we could look at a "tour guide" section.... although the original design was to make these caches a "game", they really work well in the guided tour realm... I am working on a few during the winter, and will let them loose on the world in the spring.... anyone interested in doing similar projects for their region?

My region of the country is flooded with standard caches, and as such anything different and new are the ones that I like going for or developing.

Fred
1/2 of kitkatt1960