OpenCaching.Com

About the Opencaching Site
Earth
OpenCaching.Com

Post by Earth » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:08 pm

I have looked at both the .us and .com sites and I must say there appears to be some sour grapes. Both places look interesting. Both sites promote Open Caching and pledge to keep geocaching free. Sounds like a win win situation. Why not work harder to promote each site as opposed to attacking Garmins site. Both have something to offer. I say this because I have been following this site and the cachers here who are trying so hard to "straighten out" the other site are looking like the GC crowd when they have to "Straighten Out" everyone on geocaching. If the mindset here is just like the green site, why would I want to use this site?

Earth

Re: OpenCaching.Com

Post by Earth » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:10 pm

I just read my OP. Much to aggressive language. I like what I see on this site. I would be disappointed if it became like the other site. That's all.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:32 pm

Thanks for your thoughts and the follow up, Earth. I agree with your thoughts on the GS forums and that is why I stopped frequenting them before I event started getting involved in the other sites. I believe this is the only topic you'll find here that is really getting people's features ruffled. Hopefully, we'll keep things from getting out of hand.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Earth

Post by Earth » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:12 am

Good to hear. Not only here but we shouldn't go there and cause controversy either. It's just noise, and it gives people a bad taste for both sites.
I was attracted to this site when I read the online Bible Study Post. I like the direction that could go.

Thank you for the character in your response.

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:07 am

I am just trying to figure out the reasoning Garmin has for doing what they are doing. I am certainly not opposed to another listing site, it is the fact they are taking the OC name and implying they are working "with the OC Community" when they really aren't. A little honesty goes a long way...

glorkar

Post by glorkar » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:18 pm

I agree with ^^^
It's not the site that's causing grief, it's only the name.

I've thought about replying to threads posted over there, but for the reasons you mentioned, I prefer to just stay here and focus on making our site better :)
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:47 pm

The Major problem I have with the .com site is he importing of finds and hides. It will just make it frog 2 IMHO. You can also import OTHER peoples hides. That is just plain wrong. There is no security or email validation to create an account. I pay to play on the frog, so Im not a hater. I think this site is great because it can be unique and try to promote it. So far Im not impressed with Garmins site I think they bit off more than they can chew. I will wait and see.

kitkatt1960

Post by kitkatt1960 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:36 pm

I just got off the OC.com side of things... went looking locally..... very little activity, but when I expanded my search to the south of my home, I found a bunch of caches in the Havre Mt area. All of which were placed by one person.... and NONE had a description or reason for the cache..... other than the old gc format of "I can so i did".......

The thing that really spun my crank is that the site has been up for about 4 months now..... and this guy has caches logged back as far as three years.....
ARRRRGGGHHH

Geospeak with a brown background!

Fred

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:34 pm

One of my friends has a cache hidden on oc.COM. She has never logged into their site and definitely did not place a cache there. If you send a message to her as the CO, she never gets it. So WHO is getting it and WHO set it up? THAT's the kind of practice that I don't approve of. I signed up for an account just to keep people from using my name to place caches. If there's going to be a NativTxn cache out there, *I* want to place it.
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website