Re-use blocked cache

About the Opencaching Site
TermiteHunter
Site Admin
Re-use blocked cache

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:41 pm

A while back I submitted a new cache and a duplicate was somehow created during the submission. The original was approved and listed and the duplicate was blocked by "octeam". I was hoping to re-use this blocked listing in the creation of a new cache. I selected to edit the listing and changed the name and attributes then edited the description. When I returned to the edit cache page all my changes were removed and then I noted that I cannot change the status of the cache at the top of the page. I did not want to submit the cache as I was unable to alter the main elements of the cache.

If I can not re-use this listing by editing it I would like to remove it. (just hate having a "blocked" cache listed for ever more among my caches)

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Re-use blocked cache

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:10 pm

PM sent.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:27 pm

Tell me cache number and I will unblock it for you. A blocked cache is generally one we do not allow and thus the user cannot override it. Since you are established with us, I will change this one so you can re-use it.

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:36 pm

No need for that right now. I created a new submission for my latest cache. DG Archived the cache which of course still did not permit re-writing of the content.

This brings about the question of:
Someone submits a cache that for what ever reason can not be permitted to be published as submitted. If the cache is "blocked" how could the hider correct the problem without creating a new submission? Would they be blocked or is there another method that prevents the listing from becoming active such as placing it back in the pending approval status with a notation of why it has failed approval.

I see why this one had it's issues but I was just wondering about the everyday errors on submitted caches like 10' from another cache or the like. It would be a terrible burden on the hider if they were unable to alter the content of the existing submission to correct problems that prevent approval.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:42 pm

Just for myself, if I can't approve something as submitted, I posta OC Team Note on the the cache, so the owner can address the issue.

I didn't realize the issue with blocking, though. I will now be extra careful about blocking any and try to use other methods, when possible.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

TermiteHunter
Site Admin

Post by TermiteHunter » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:06 am

Sounds good. As long as an oportunity is provided for correcting the simple errors.
Blocking is a solid lock on the cache.

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:01 am

As DudleyGrunt said, we either post a comment or send them an email letting them know what to fix.