Recruiting new members

About the Opencaching Site
Mr.Yuck
Site Admin
Re: Recruiting new members

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:05 pm

RVRoadTrip wrote:It starts with one cache.... place one in your area so there will be at least one. This "seed" may be all it takes for others to place one, or more.
I did that, I suppose. I heard about the site day one from DudleyGrunt (I follow him on Twitter). I then placed a multi (and a rather ordinary one), and "announced" it on a local forum. I suppose my area has a decent history of supporting alternative Geocaching websites, and I'll guess it's because of our proximity to Navicache World HQ (about 70 miles away), and most of the 2004 and earlier caches around here were cross-listed there.

Other people took me up on it, and I wouldn't doubt Western NY has the highest concentration of OCUS only hides right now. I could be wrong though. :mrgreen: Spring is coming, and I'm gearing up to hide some more. And find the ones I've neglected, I still only have 3 finds here. And an event, but they don't count as "caches" here. :o
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:25 pm

Yeah, I just talk about it. I share my experiences and milestones on my local and other forums, more than actively try to recruit, per se.

Welcome!
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

DJCreekCachers

Post by DJCreekCachers » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:31 pm

When ever we see that a cross-listed cache is logged on Geocaching.com, we e-mail the cacher and let them know that they can also log the cache on Opencaching.us. We provide a link to the Website as well as the links to the caches. Hopefully, we can get a few recruits that way.

Keep on Cachin'

DJCreekCachers

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:41 am

DJCreekCachers wrote:When ever we see that a cross-listed cache is logged on Geocaching.com, we e-mail the cacher and let them know that they can also log the cache on Opencaching.us. We provide a link to the Website as well as the links to the caches. Hopefully, we can get a few recruits that way.

Keep on Cachin'

DJCreekCachers
That's a good idea!

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:21 am

Mr.Yuck wrote:
RVRoadTrip wrote:It starts with one cache.... place one in your area so there will be at least one. This "seed" may be all it takes for others to place one, or more.
I did that, I suppose. I heard about the site day one from DudleyGrunt (I follow him on Twitter). I then placed a multi (and a rather ordinary one), and "announced" it on a local forum. I suppose my area has a decent history of supporting alternative Geocaching websites, and I'll guess it's because of our proximity to Navicache World HQ (about 70 miles away), and most of the 2004 and earlier caches around here were cross-listed there.

Other people took me up on it, and I wouldn't doubt Western NY has the highest concentration of OCUS only hides right now. I could be wrong though. :mrgreen: Spring is coming, and I'm gearing up to hide some more. And find the ones I've neglected, I still only have 3 finds here. And an event, but they don't count as "caches" here. :o
Mr Yuk is the Johny Appleseed of OUCS in WNY :mrgreen: I posted in the Rochester, CNY and ADK forms too but received little to no interest/response. I sent a few emails out too on a hide I have in Batavia NY
http://www.opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=185 I got one new person to sign up. Also I told some new "geofriends" I made and I bet they will be interested. A little at a time,,,,

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:08 pm

Hard for (me at least) to define the line where you're getting a little too pushy. I did mention OCUS to a cacher who emailed me on another caching matter last week, and I sort of brought it up, and let them know I just placed a new cache here. I also believe I'm going to end up "reminding" a few of the people who have signed up for accounts and have one or two finds about the 20 or so OCUS only hides within 40 miles of my home radius. My worst fear is to see 5-10 people log these caches in the first year or two, and then after that, they just sit there forever. Sort of like what happened with Terracaching.
ImageImage

GOF

Post by GOF » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:02 pm

Well, worse comes to worse and Mr. Yuck and I can hide OCUS caches for each other. :twisted:

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:50 pm

It will pick up. GC has a 10 year head start and OC.com appears to be floundering based on what I can determine from their forums. I could be wrong, though.
As we continue to spread the word, people will realize that there are unique caches to be found here and they will join us.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:16 pm

GOF wrote:Well, worse comes to worse and Mr. Yuck and I can hide OCUS caches for each other. :twisted:
C'mon, worse case scenario there would be 4 or 5 of us placing caches for each other! :?

Nice of you, by the way to drop one 1.71 miles from my house the other day. I'm not a big FTF person, even here on OCUS, so I will get to that this week sometime.
ImageImage

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:13 pm

And I'll appreciate the efforts when I come up during GeoWoodstock 9. ;-)
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image