Cache Listing Review?

About the Opencaching Site
czar7
Cache Listing Review?

Post by czar7 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:08 am

OK...I just posted my first two caches. Is anyone looking at the listings to make sure they conform to the guidelines set in the listing terms and conditions? Is there any sort of approval process?

Or do you "trust" that we will all be grown-ups and follow da rules? :twisted:

Just wondering!

Thanks,
Czar7

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Re: Cache Listing Review?

Post by RVRoadTrip » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:47 am

When a cache is submitted, the system notifies us. We read over the cache and check that the coordinates are valid. If there is a problem, we contact the submitter and ask them to correct it. If there is no problem with the submission, you will not hear from us.

Anyone can write anything when submitting a cache. They can describe it as being within the rules but in fact it may not be. The real test is when someone goes to the cache location. If a problem exists, the "finder" can return here and report a problem with the cache, submit a comment about the cache or contact the OC US Team. Now if the description clearly says things that are against the rules, the owner will be contacted and changes made or the cache will be removed by the OC US Team.

Other listing sites have volunteer reviewers but that does not work in every case. I notice in the logs of many caches complaints from cachers about the cache being missing, needing maintenance, etc... and these complaints go on for months without any action being taken. Our system allows you to rate and report the cache and this will greatly reduce the instances of bad caches. No system is perfect but we do our best to make sure all caches are within the guidelines and are maintained by the owners.