Challenge to place more caches

About the Opencaching Site
NativTxn
Site Admin
Challenge to place more caches

Post by NativTxn » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:40 pm

We need more caches on this site. I'm pretty sure that each of you has a Guest Book of some type somewhere near you - museums, State Parks, Visitors Bureaus, etc. If everyone posted just ONE Guest Book cache in their area, we'd have lots of new places to visit all across the country. While you're out and about, find a nice spot for a traditional one(s) too. ;)

So...let's see if we can get over 1000 by the OCUS 1st Anniversary in August.

If you hide it...they will come - TRUST ME! :D
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Challenge to place more caches

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:48 pm

While I was out completing the NPS' Captain John Smith Geotrail, I came across a tank at a VFW in Port Deposit, MD. I stopped and got coords and pics. I got home and listed it as A Tank on the Susquehanna.

I do think we need more physical caches, but when out and about away from home, I agree that folks should keep an eye out for places to list new Webcams, Virtuals, Guestbooks. Of course, if you feel it is somewhere you'll be able to maintain them, physical caches would be great.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:01 pm

Sure you two both have over 30 :o 8-) I put out a physical guest book and a VC a few weeks ago in my county park. We are getting a nice mix up here in WNY and a few new people dipping their toes in the water slow but sure. I agree though more is more goodder. :)

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:14 pm

Sabrefan7 wrote:We are getting a nice mix up here in WNY...
I'm looking forward to tackling those, this week. Maybe I'll even spot a place for a virtual or 2.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:07 pm

Sabrefan7 wrote:Sure you two both have over 30 :o 8-) I put out a physical guest book and a VC a few weeks ago in my county park. We are getting a nice mix up here in WNY and a few new people dipping their toes in the water slow but sure. I agree though more is more goodder. :)
I just published my 8th cache today, to tie my local Pal Sabrefan7, seeing as he has a banner that tells me that right here. Well, I've had 43 in 8 years on Geocaching.com, so I'm ahead of that pace!! :mrgreen:

Yes, 1,000 hidden (not necessarily active) by the anniversary date sure would be nice. It's going to be tough though. On a side note, the disclaimer "discouraging" cross-listed caches when you go to hide a cache seems to be working pretty good.
ImageImage

NativTxn
Site Admin

Post by NativTxn » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:21 pm

Sabrefan7 wrote:Sure you two both have over 30 :o 8-) I put out a physical guest book and a VC a few weeks ago in my county park. We are getting a nice mix up here in WNY and a few new people dipping their toes in the water slow but sure. I agree though more is more goodder. :)
Problem is...if we HIDE them all, we can't FIND them. I need someone else to come down here and place caches so I can FIND more than I HIDE. :D
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

Sabrefan7

Post by Sabrefan7 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:55 pm

Been to Arkansas (Jonesboro) and Mississippi (Memphis) But never Texas Maybe someday ;)

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:38 pm

So far, while up in WNY and NWPA, prior to heading to GeoWoodstock, I've gotten info for 2 new virts. One will be at Niagara Falls and on in Busti, PA.

Coming soon. I've got to get to bed, now, though.
Dave, OCNA Team Member

Image Image

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:50 pm

DudleyGrunt wrote:So far, while up in WNY and NWPA, prior to heading to GeoWoodstock, I've gotten info for 2 new virts. One will be at Niagara Falls and on in Busti, PA.

Coming soon. I've got to get to bed, now, though.
Yes, fine job! Found the Busti one, and I will take a trip on the Maid of the Mist this year, and find the virtual!!

Now about the 1,000 caches by the anniversary. Pretty obvious it's not going to happen. 1,000 found logs I think we can shoot for, that looks feasible! Especially since Dudley Grunt logged about 50 around Geowoodstock time. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

DJCreekCachers

Post by DJCreekCachers » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:05 am

I have nine caches listed on Opencaching.us. They are a mixture of cross-listed and oc.us-exclusive caches. The last time one of my caches was logged was on April 24, 2011.

I have watchlisted the closest gc.com caches to my oc.us caches and when they are logged, I send an e-mail to the logger to let them know that a oc.us cache is located nearby.

In example, I have a new virtual located on Mackinac Island, MI that was published on 21 June 2011 that has not been logged yet. Every day, as I see people logging caches on Mackinac Island, I send them the following e-mail via their gc.com profile:

Hello,

We saw where you logged a cache on Mackinac Island.

We recently set up a virtual cache on Mackinac Island that is listed on http://www.opencaching.us. It is named "The Benchmark at Robinson's Folly - Mackinac Island, MI."

Thus far, it has not been logged and therefore, we thought you might be interested in finding it and logging it. You'd be FTF!

If you are interested, visit the cache at the following link:
http://www.opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=705

One would think with all that, someone would make the hike up to this vista and make the find. There are other gc.com caches nearby that are getting logged. But, for some reason, no one appears interested.

In another example, I have a guestbook cache on Captiva Island, FL that is near a gc.com virtual cache. As above, when the virtual cache is logged, I notify the logger to let them know about the oc.us cache nearby. Thus far, it has only been logged once and that was after the logger was prompted of the nearby oc.us cache.

I think we should focus more on raising the awareness factor rather than hiding more and more caches. According to Ask.com, billboard advertising ranges from $700 to $2,500 per month. Maybe all the regular oc.us members could chip in and place a billboard in a prominent location to raise awareness. Maybe we could place an ad in USA today. Check out the rates at http://www.usatoday.com/marketing/media ... ecard.html.

While one of oc.us' big attention getters is its no cost membership, I for one, would be willing to pay a monthly or yearly membership fee to offset the costs of advertising.

You thoughts?