Opencaching North America

About the Opencaching Site
NativTxn
Site Admin
Opencaching North America

Post by NativTxn » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Will this eventually become opencaching.na once everything is combined or will it stay .us?
If you hide it, they will come!
Image Image Image
My Website

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Re: Opencaching North America

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:31 pm

At this time, I believe .ca and .mx will point to .us. I looked and, while there is a .na domain, it is the top level domain for Namibia.
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Coffee Peddlers
Site Admin

Post by Coffee Peddlers » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:34 pm

can we "fake" it and just say .na is North America??
Cheers
CP
Tackling Ontario's hiking trails one step at a time and now invading Michigan Trails as well.

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:18 pm

We could, but I just checked NamIT and the cost would be "Only" USD 6000.00!!!
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

Coffee Peddlers
Site Admin

Post by Coffee Peddlers » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:36 pm

umm well that is a little beyond my means... LOL we'll need A LOT of fundraising for that one ;)
Cheers
CP
Tackling Ontario's hiking trails one step at a time and now invading Michigan Trails as well.

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:39 pm

By the way, hope I wasn't a little too hasty tweeting about the whole opencaching.us/opencaching.ca/opencaching.mx merger thing into Opencaching North America on Twitter. Hey, it's an exciting development.

Before I came here to the forums, I did actually try opencaching.na. No, the whole Namibia thing probably wouldn't work. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

Coffee Peddlers
Site Admin

Post by Coffee Peddlers » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:30 am

Mr.Yuck wrote:By the way, hope I wasn't a little too hasty tweeting about the whole opencaching.us/opencaching.ca/opencaching.mx merger thing into Opencaching North America on Twitter. Hey, it's an exciting development.

Before I came here to the forums, I did actually try opencaching.na. No, the whole Namibia thing probably wouldn't work. :mrgreen:
Keeping people interested is all about creating buzz, so tweet away.... with that said it is still a work in progress. We are working on getting a french version of the site for our friends in Quebec, next we'll need a Spanish site for the Mexican cachers.
Cheers
CP

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:50 am

Coffee Peddlers wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:By the way, hope I wasn't a little too hasty tweeting about the whole opencaching.us/opencaching.ca/opencaching.mx merger thing into Opencaching North America on Twitter. Hey, it's an exciting development.

Keeping people interested is all about creating buzz, so tweet away.... with that said it is still a work in progress. We are working on getting a french version of the site for our friends in Quebec, next we'll need a Spanish site for the Mexican cachers.

OK, good. I actually tweeted about Opencaching.ca coming online before it actually did, when both sites were down for maintenance yesterday morning. I also suggested buying the domain name opencaching.c-eh. :o

So I take it you've moved the web hosting to Canada? Or will be soon?
ImageImage

Coffee Peddlers
Site Admin

Post by Coffee Peddlers » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:08 am

I'm going to leave the hosting where it is. Our dollars are pretty much on par so the exchange rate is not an issue. Everything is setup and running smoothly so I'm taking the "if it ain't broke" approach.
Cheers
CP

Mr.Yuck
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Yuck » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:30 pm

Coffee Peddlers wrote:

Yes, Quebec has over 23,000 Geocaching.com active caches. We need to tap into that market, for sure. Hey, you know how it's all the rage these days for people to thumb out "TFTC" logs on their smartphones? Do French Speaking Canadian smartphone n00bs thumb out "MPLC" logs? Kidding of course, but yet curious. :lol:

Buying up the Mexican domain was a good idea, and I agree with it totally. I did some research into Geocaching in Mexico though, and the game is not exactly taking the nation by storm. There are 1,600 active Geocaching.com caches in Mexico. Most U.S. States have well over 10,000. Our smallest State, Rhode Island, has 1,900. I'm not going to look at all 50, but I assume that's the least. I'm going to guess well over half the caches in Mexico are clustered in and around the three Cities of Mexico City, Monterrey, and Guadalajara. While surfing the hides of the most prolific cache hider from the Mexico City area, I see he hosted a "1,000 caches in Mexico" event in July 2010. I assume he meant active caches. There were 12 attended logs, but a group picture on the cache page showed about 25 attendees with team members and children.

Anyways, how in the world do you think Opencaching North America could get the word out to the very small Mexican Geocaching community?
ImageImage