Searching in another country

About the Opencaching Site
Danbike
Searching in another country

Post by Danbike » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:39 pm

I can't seem to figure out how to search for caches in another country, France in particular. Can someone point me to some instructions?

Thanks in advance.

glorkar

Re: Searching in another country

Post by glorkar » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:43 pm

Unfortunately, each Opencaching website is independent. The database of caches in France cannot be accessed on Opencaching.us. You would have to sign up on each of the different OC sites in Europe (as there is no OC for France specifically.) If you look at the map on this site, it will show a few caches placed by users of the German OC. You cannot log those unless you join opencaching.de.
There is talks of merging the databases, but that seems to be a long way off, if it happens at all.

So, short answer: You can't search for caches in a different country without joining their opencaching.xx site.
Opencaching.us Global Moderator
"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane"

DudleyGrunt
Site Admin

Post by DudleyGrunt » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:04 pm

I do notice, however, that you can select "Show caches from other OC" on the map and when using the search tool, there are options to search Belgium and Canada. I'm not sure how the latter works, though. If I select Belgium or Canada and search cache name for "e" (to get as many as possible), I get the same results as if I select "United States".
Dave, OCNA Team Member
For the smiles, not the smilies.
Maryland Geocaching Society

Image Image

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:46 pm

glorkar wrote:Unfortunately, each Opencaching website is independent. The database of caches in France cannot be accessed on Opencaching.us. You would have to sign up on each of the different OC sites in Europe (as there is no OC for France specifically.) If you look at the map on this site, it will show a few caches placed by users of the German OC. You cannot log those unless you join opencaching.de.
There is talks of merging the databases, but that seems to be a long way off, if it happens at all.

So, short answer: You can't search for caches in a different country without joining their opencaching.xx site.
This is the correct answer.

Danbike

Post by Danbike » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:44 pm

Works perfectly.
dudleygrunt wrote:I do notice, however, that you can select "Show caches from other OC" on the map and when using the search tool, there are options to search Belgium and Canada. I'm not sure how the latter works, though. If I select Belgium or Canada and search cache name for "e" (to get as many as possible), I get the same results as if I select "United States".

Danbike

Post by Danbike » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:32 pm

Best part, it appears that the european caches have translators built in.

Danbike

Post by Danbike » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:04 pm

I did find a way to use the SEARCH BY MAP function and select a box that allows me to see the caches in other countries. I can open them but would have to sign up on the country of the cache owner to be able to log them. The function I'm referring to is Map of Geocaches (Other Options).

RVRoadTrip wrote:
glorkar wrote:Unfortunately, each Opencaching website is independent. The database of caches in France cannot be accessed on Opencaching.us. You would have to sign up on each of the different OC sites in Europe (as there is no OC for France specifically.) If you look at the map on this site, it will show a few caches placed by users of the German OC. You cannot log those unless you join opencaching.de.

This is the correct answer.

RVRoadTrip
Site Admin

Post by RVRoadTrip » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:15 pm

Danbike wrote:Best part, it appears that the european caches have translators built in.

Yes, several languages are coded into the software but not all are accessible on our site. In the US, the primary language is English so there is no real reason to have any other language. However, in Europe there are many different languages but many also speak English... thus English appears to you automatically if you visit the site from an US IP address. Not all of the Openaching sites will auto translate for you to English, though. As for this site, Polish is your only other option besides English. To see it, type http://www.opencaching.us?lang=pl

Change the "pl" to "en" to get back to English. :)